Will I have to get a mammogram before I have breast reduction surgery? It wasn't mentioned during my consultation.

Mammogram prior to breast reduction?

Mammograms are not something women look forward to!
that being said, they are an important aspect of women's breast health care.
i suggest women consider getting a mammogram prior to elective breast surgery if they are 30 years old or older.
Most suggestions for routine mammograms are to begin between 35-40. This is because the density of the breast tissue is more favorable about this age. 
The reason I suggest a mammogram from the age of 30 or older when considering elective breast surgery is that I would like to make certain there are no surprises that may need to be evaluated after I have already done the surgery. 
Of course each surgeon has their own system and suggestion so you should review this with them as well.

You have not said anything about your age, but if it was mentioned during your consultation it means that your surgeon felt it needed to be done.  Women 35 and over should routinely obtain a mammogram prior to breast reduction.  For younger women usually an ultrasound is adequate.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Mammogram and breast reduction

You should follow your guidelines set for routine mammogram before undergoing a breast reduction. This depends upon your age and family history.  Good luck.

Mammogram before breast reduction

Many insurers will require the mammogram for women over a specified age.  It is not an unreasonable idea to obtain one such that any changes seen in the breasts postoperatively can be correlated to the preoperative condition.

A routine mammogram is not needed before breast reduction surgery. You should follow standard guidelines for mammograms (age, family history, risk factors) and discuss with your surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

In general, I ask patients who are planning on undergoing breast surgery and are 40 years old or older to have a mammogram performed prior to surgery if they haven't had one within the past year.

Mammogramm prior to Breast Reduction

Hi,

This is a very good question. There is no consensus and no established guidelines regarding what is right, but most of my patients find it reassuring and useful to have radiological investigation before they go for breast reduction.  

Breast cancer is affecting younger population more and more and I do not do any age cut for radiological investigation prior surgery. For younger patients UC can be done instead of mammogram.

If in the future on the breast cancer screening radiologist see something unusual it may help them if they have image showing same area before breast reduction.

I hope that helps.

Elena Prousskaia

Do I Need a Mammogram Prior to Breast Reduction Surgery?

• I have my breast reduction patients undergo a mammogram if they are 40 years of age or older and have not had a mammogram within a year of their breast reduction. 
  • For patients in their late 30s, I only recommend a mammogram if they have a strong family history of breast cancer.