Is it necessary for me to to lose weight to have breast reduction surgery? (Photo)

I'm 20 years old, 5'7 and 264 lbs. My Primary care physician said i should attempt to lose 20-30 lbs for my overall health. She said I may want to try before i meet with the plastic surgeon soon.

The hard answer

Weight is such an emotional issue for so many of us.  It can hurt when you are told you are overweight.  But from a purely medical perspective, patients who are significantly overweight are at much greater risk of many complication after a breast reduction.  There is an increased risk of blood clots in the legs and greater risk of major healing difficulties. At current height and weight, your Body Mass Index  BMI around 40.  Many surgeons will turn away a patient who has a BMI over 40.  See the link below to calculate your BMI and do a little reading about weight and surgery.I would take the advice of your physician and try to get your weight to a safe level before your consultation.

Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Try to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Weight loss before surgery

It is necessary to be within 20 pounds of your goal weight before surgery. It is more important to be consistent with your weight as that it would be the best measure for your surgeon to use during your consultation.

Is it necessary for me to to lose weight to have breast reduction surgery?

Ideally, you will be able to achieve your long-term stable weight prior to undergoing breast reduction surgery. Doing so, will decrease risks of complications and increase the odds that you will be pleased with the outcome of the procedure long-term and decrease chances that additional surgery will be necessary down the line ( for example if you were to lose weight after surgery).  Best wishes;  as you work to achieve your long-term stable weight, keep in mind that breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Hello and thank you for your question!Generally, prospective patients are advised to lose weight before undergoing any surgery, as studies show, these type of procedures are more successful. The reason for this being that, if you reduce your breasts and then lose weight, your body may show some unexpected or unwanted changes in its shape overall. This is not the case for every person, since everyone's body is different - however, for best non-altering results, I would recommend you lose the sufficient amount of weight prior to surgery so there aren't any surprises.Please visit a board certified plastic surgeon for further advice and the best, safest results.

Good luck!

Enriquillo Clime Rivera, MD