How long is too long for an inframammary fold incision? How is incision length determined?

Length of inframmary fold incision for augmentation

The inframmary fold incision length or fold incision length depends on both the need for a lift and the implant type. 
When a lift is needed the incision will almost always be bigger than when just an augmentation is needed. 
When only an augmentation is needed the Incision depends on inplant type with saline being able to be placed through small 3 cm incisions and silicone through larger incisions (up to 5 cm). In general for gel implants: Shaped implants will usually require larger incisions (5cm) and smaller silicone round gels can be placed through smaller incisions- especially with a special funnel. Hope that helps 

Lenght of the inframmary fold incision?

Depends on the implants, not just saline versus silicone, but also the size of the silicone implant. Saline implants come deflated and can be rolled and place with incisions as small as 3 cm. Silicone implants 500cc or less can be place through 5 cm incisions. Since I started using the Keller Funnel to introduce the implants in the pocket I found that I have less chances of contamination and I can get bigger implants through even smaller incisions.

Length of incision depends on the implant type

Thank you for your question.  For saline implants, my incision in the fold under the breasts is about 5cm's and more like 7-8cm's for silicone depending on the size of the implant.  Fortunately these incisions tend to heal as such fine scars that it is very rare for a patient to have any concerns about the scar after surgery. We recommend that you tape over the scar for several months after surgery. Good luck.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Good question. The incision length will vary based on the type implant used for your augmentation, saline versus silicone. The use of saline implants generally require smaller incisions compared to incisions used for silicone implants. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

You will find that there is no standard answer to your question. Like many things in plastic surgery, there is variability from one plastic surgeon to another. Most good plastic surgeons will try to limit the incision to as short as possible and, importantly, place the incision in a location where it will be least visible to the patient postoperatively. Hope this helps.

Incision length

The length of the incision in breast augmentation surgery is determined by the size, shape, and style of the implant used.  It also depends on the surgeon.  Some surgeons use much larger incisions than others simply because a longer incision makes the surgery easier for them.  I try to keep my incisions as small as possible as that is one of the first things that the patient sees and evaluates with regards to her results.  It is always a good idea to look at before/after pictures of results and scars.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breast augmentation incision

breast augmentation can be done through a variety of incisions

the most common and versatile one is the inframammary incision

for saline it is average 3 cm 

for silicone 4-5 cm

for the use of anatomical implant with important volume incision can go up to 6 cm

this is usually the number used

thank you for your question

Jacques Haddad, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Hi.. thank you for the question... I usually do not use that typo of incision, but is determine by the type and size of implants. Larger implants larger incision. 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Inframammary Incision Length

The length of the incision depends on the type of implant that is used and any other procedures that may be necessary in addition to placement of the implants.  Saline implants can be inserted through a smaller incision (~4 cm) because they are deflated when inserted and filled once inside the breast.  On the other hand, silicone implants require a larger incision as they are already filled prior to insertion.  Highly cohesive ("gummy bear") implants usually require the longest incision as these implants are stiffer and more difficult to insert (~5-6cm).  Finally, if any other procedures are going to be performed through the incision such as removal of a very tight  capsule or placement of a dermal matrix then the incision may need to be extended even more (~7 cm).  The important point is that the surgeon should feel comfortable that he/she can see what is necessary and have adequate access to perform the required maneuvers.  It makes no sense to compromise the surgery by limiting the scar a cm or so.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Incision length

The length of the incision depends upon the type of implant and size of implant used. A saline implant can be placed through a smaller incision, usually 4.5-5 cm. A Large silicone gel implant may require a larger incision, even up to 6.5 cm. We surgeons do have a few tricks we use to get a large gel implants through a small incisions.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon