Can I get liposuction or arm lift on my arms if I have lipomas in them?

I have lipomas in my upper and lower arms. The ones in my upper arms are a little bigger then my lower ones. I've been wanting to get rid of fat in my upper arms and around my under arm for quite awhile. I always have to buy stretch shirts in order for them to fit my arms. My arms are bigger than the rest of my body and I look like a bodybuilder because of this. Will my lipomas get in my way of getting this done? I have quite a few in my upper arms. Started getting these more and more in my 40s.

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question. Yes you can have liposuction with lipomas in your arms assuming you are in overall good health and cleared for elective surgery by your primary care doctor.  Discuss with your surgeon about removing the lipomas simultaneously during the procedure as they may reoccur. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

FDA-Approved Ultrasonic Liposuction, VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring for Arms with Lipomas

You can have liposuction with lipomas. They can and probably should be removed during the procedure. They may recur. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction to arms even though you have lipomas

Consult with your surgeon and show him your concern with the lipomas and where exactly they are located on your arms.Report  Liposuction to the upper arm area can be done even though you have the lipomas.  Often times liposuction is used to remove lipomas     What's wrong with this answer? Self-promotional
Conflict of interest
Insufficient information
Duplicate content
Unfriendly attitude Submit Cancel Thanks for your feedbackRealSelf will review this answer to make sure it meets our terms of service.Learn More You have already reported this answer. What's wrong with this answer? Self-promotional
Conflict of interest
Insufficient information
Duplicate content
Unfriendly attitude
Submit Cancel Thanks for your feedbackRealSelf will review this answer to make sure it meets our terms of service.Learn More You have already reported this answer.   

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction will work well for your arms as long as you don't have excessive skin laxity. The lipomas can either be removed with liposuction or by making small incisions to remove them.

Lipo with lipomas

I agree 100% with Dr Morgan. Liposuction has been used to treat lipomas, though they may recur with this method, but should not interfere. Photos would help determine whether arm lift might be indicated as well. Good luck and always seek a board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - if I have lipomas

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and lipomas.
  • It's an excellent question -
  • The answer is yes, you can have liposuction.
  • In fact, liposuction can be used to remove large lipomas. 
  • An exam is needed to see if this is the right treatment for you - 
  • For instance, to be sure these are lipomas (confined fatty tumors) or lipomatosis which is fat that runs deep around nerve and blood vessels.
  • But definitely you can be helped - just see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
  • There are many of us in Atlanta - any of us would be happy to help you!
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for sharing your question.  Lipomas will not interfere with obtaining liposuction of your upper arms and depending on their location, can be removed at the same time if you so desire.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.