Lipo and Smart Lipo? Can I have both?

I had lipo a few years ago on my tummy, hips and waist. My doctor was a quack, didn't know what he was doing and it didn't really take. I had a lot of scar tissue issues but eventually they cleared up. I am getting ready to try SonoBello or "Smart Lipo" in a few days on my upper and lower abs, arms, waist and back... I was wondering if someone could tell me the risk, side effects and what one things the potential outcome may be. I'm 5'7, weight 191.

For Best Results, Go With An Expert-VASER HI DEF, ThermiRF, ultrasound

Yes, you can have a different procedure. It is not really the tool, it is the technique used that gives the best results with liposuction. You want to find someone who is an expert in the field and has a practice dedicated to body contouring/liposculpting. A formal assessment is needed to determine which techniques are best. Often I use VASER HI DEF with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting to get the most fat removal, skin tightening, and contouring. I suggest a consult with a hi-def physique liposuction expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction and Smart Lipo

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• I am sorry you had a bad experience in the past with a doctor who wasn't qualified.
  • It is easy to get confused about liposuction -
  • Smart Lipo uses laser heat to help do the liposuction but isn't that widely used by plastic surgeons.
  • Sonobello and many - perhaps most- plastic surgeons use the Microaire pulsatile machine although Sono Bello uses a  little laser liposuction at the end to try to tighten the skin.
  • It doesn't need heat so it can't burn your skin. Instead it uses vibration that breaks up fat and scar tissue.
  • That said a good plastic surgeon can get a good result with any machine - and a doctor who doesn't know how to do liposuction can't get a good result with any machine.
  • So be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic surgeon to have your liposuction done and follow her/his preference as to the machine to use.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lipo and Smart Lipo? Can I have both?

The type of liposuction is less important than the surgeon doing the procedure, as you learned with your first surgery. SonoBello is not known for high quality plastic surgery procedures and you should research them (and the surgeon) very well before having anything done. Atlanta has many good plastic surgeons - stay away from "plastic surgery mills".

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Lipo and Smart Lipo? Can I have both?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question and best wishes on your upcoming surgery.  Liposuction results are based on a doctor's experience and attention to detail as well as a patient's skin quality.  Though there are a myriad of different liposuction techniques employed, none are superior to the others.  Risks entailed with liposuction include pain, bruising, infection, contour irregularity, under/over correction, skin laxity/looseness, etc.  Your surgeon should be able to discuss the risks and benefits with you in great detail.

Focus on the surgeon's qualifications, the technique is just secondary

The truth is, the technique is just secondary.  The most important factor is your surgeon's qualifications--i.e., he should be board certified (ABPS member), performs liposuction on a regular basis (treated hundreds if not thousands of patients), and has good bedside manner (he is caring and friendly). 

Today the standard technique is the tumescent liposuction in which tumescent fluids (concoction of saline, lidocaine which is a type of local anesthesia, and epinephrine to reduce bleeding) are injected into the fatty area.  Most new methods such as Smart Lipo (and other devices that use laser or ultrasound waves) often start with this standard technique. 

For photo reference, please visit the attached the attached link. 

Good luck and best wishes.