Left breast too high/misshapen after BA. Is this appearance normal? (Photo)

I'm 11 days post op. Was a 34B cup, also had some sagging but did not get a lift. Got 420cc saline HP implants, submuscular, crease incision. My concern is that my left breast is too high and has this weird shape like there's a gap between the implants and the lower breast area /nipple. The implants are almost up to my clavicle and feel close to the armpits. Also, the left breast feels more sore. PS said no massage. Is this appearance normal? I'm worried that they may not drop down adequately

Early shape after breast augmentation

You are really, really early after surgery right now, so you can expect to have odd asymmetries (like what you're seeing now).  Give it time and trust the process.  Your body is healing, and things will settle over the coming months.  Talk to your surgeon about any specific concerns over time.  

Time is our best friend in plastic surgery. 

Dr. Kavali

10 days post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its early to talk about final results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Implant position

You are very early in your healing. It takes 4-6 months for the implants to drop in there pockets. The tissue has to give and allow the implants to drop down. You may ask your surgeon about a bando to wear to help displace the implants downward.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Asymmetrical after Breast Augmentation

Hello and thanks for your question/pics.

At 11 days post op it is definitely too soon to judge the final appearance of your implants.  Settling will occur and swelling will dissipate over the next few months and that will drastically affect how you look.  You should bring your concerns to the attention of your plastic surgeon.  In my practice I use stabilizer straps/bands to help with this issue, but it is a normal part of breast augmentation recovery.  The gap that you notice between the nipple/areola and the implant may exist because you need a breast lift or it may go away once the implant is settled.
If after 6 months you still don't like the appearance, then you can consider a revision.  For now, be certain to follow your surgeon's instructions, as they know the intricacies of your procedure better than RS docs.

Best of luck to you,

Ruth Celestin, MD

Left breast too high/misshapen after BA. Is this appearance normal?

Thank you for your question and photographs. After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. In your case the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest. Once this resolves the volume within the implant will redistribute towards the lower portion of your breast achieving a more natural appearance. I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

The implants will drop more -it is too early to be concerned. Ask your surgeon if you can use a Bando. Breast implant displacement exercises will help when surgeon says ok.

Wait 3-4 months to drop. Check pre op photos-my guess is left breast was lower-if implants not filling left breast by 3-4 months you may need a lift. See below:

Post op

You are very early post op and the implants can sit high and be asymmetrical at this time.  If you needed a lift but chose not to undergo one, then there always may be some looseness at the nipple area.  Give it some time to allow the implants to settle and you can always do a lift later if you want a better shape.  Best wishes.

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Is this normal?

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other, early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed, that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Is this normal?

It is very normal to have some asymmetry when healing.  Each breast is a different surgical pocket and they will heal differently.  Just be patient and continue to follow your plastic surgeon's instructions.  Best of luck!

Concerns early out after breast augmentation surgery...

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.
Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized.

Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.
Sometimes, one or both breasts implants do not settle as planned and revisionary breast surgery becomes necessary to improve the outcome. On other occasions, if the long-term breast asymmetry is mild ( understanding that absolute symmetry is very rarely achieved), patients will need to decide whether proceeding with revisionary breast surgery is worth the potential downsides associated with additional surgery.
Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.