Can I get IPL treatment for sun damaged spots every other day?

Can I get IPL treatment for sun damaged spots every other day? Thank you!

IPL Treatments

It is best to wait 4 full weeks in between IPL treatments. That will allow enough time for the pigmentation to slough off and the skin cells to turnover. Doing more frequent treatments could result in permanent damage to your skin.

IPL treatments for sun damage

You should wait three to four weeks in between your IPL treatments for sun damage.  Adding photodynamic therapy with Levulan and blue light will give you an enhanced result.  These treatments should be performed by a cosmetic dermatologist.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

IPL frequency

Generally speaking - I prefer to do my IPL treatments at least a month apart. Also - since the pigment will take 7-14 days to shed out - you cannot really see whether or not you need a new treatment until it has been a few weeks. I hope this helps!

Frequency of IPL Treatments

There is a limit to how frequently you can have the ipl treatments. Consult in person with a Board Certified physician who is an expert in the procedure to understand the optimal treatment schedule for you. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

30 days between treatments

Great question! When I was younger I learned that all of my skin falls off in cycles which I thought was so cool. Well that's exactly what happens! When treating areas with IPL, the light targets your pigmented areas. That's why the treatment areas turn really dark. A normal skin cycle is about 30 days meaning it takes 30 days for the pigment that was treated to work its way to the surface and fall off. That's why people can be treated on average once a month. I hope this helps and good luck in your area!

IPL every other day?

In general, no!!!..unless you're treating totally different areas.  After treatment, your skin needs time to recover and heal.  ln our practice we space IPL treatments for the face about a month apart.   Several treatments are usually needed to achieve desired results.  If you were doing IPL treatments "every other day", I would hope you meant that you were treating totally different areas (say face, chest and hands).  Even so, you'd run out of areas pretty fast!