Am I infected? It's pus everywhere! I traveled out of the country to have liposuction and scar revision. (Photo)

I have an open incision in between my butt hole from liposuction. This is my 3rd round. The surgeon was way too aggressive and left me with two burns on my back. I couldn't move for 5 days and is painful to sit, stand, get out of bed, etc. Never experienced that. So I'm at the airport today and in my garments there is pus everywhere. I changed; same thing. MAJOR DRAINAGE. Will any er treat me because i went out of the country or am I stuck? I'm in Atlanta, GA.

Doctor Answers 15

This is an EMERGENCY

Pus is absolutely not a normal occurrence after liposuction.  You need to go to the Emergency Room immediately, and expect to be admitted for intravenous antibiotics, possible surgery and very close monitoring.  If you delay, you will be putting your life at risk.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 133 reviews

Liposuction abroad - now have severe infection

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

  • An Emergency Room will evaluate you and probably admit you for urgent treatment and perhaps surgery.
  • Please be seen at once.
  • I am very sorry you are going through this.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Infected Liposuction Areas

Hello and thank you for reaching out. Please go to your nearest emergency room immediately. Drainage is very common following a liposuction procedure, however, when there is pus being excreted, that does raise some red flags. It will not matter where the surgery was performed at, the doctor in the ER are there to help you, not judge you. Please see a medical professional immediately. Best Wishes. 

Pus after lipo

Thank you for your question. Pus is not normal after liposuction. I would recommend to see a physician ASAP  and also suggest to talk to your surgeon to guide you through this process. 

Ven Erella, MD
Austin Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews


Thank you for your question and picture.  Any ER has to treat you acutely for your emergency infection.  The question is which PS in your area will be willing to take on the responsibility of your after care.  YOUR PS is an another country and that is who should be taking care of you.  
Many ER's will have PS on call for emergencies and they may see you, take care of your immediate needs and then refer you back to your PS that operated on you.  

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Infection is serious

Burns after lipo and pus are very dangerous to your health.
You will need to seek treatment with a private plastic surgeon or seek help at an ER to get the ball rolling.

It is very important to get treatment today.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Pus after liposuction.

You have more problems than pus.  You need emergent care by a qualified general or plastic surgeon.  You have also paid the price for "surgical tourism". You are now a salvage case,not a cosmetic one.I would suggest you go to the Plastic surgery clinic at Emory university, since you are in Atlanta.  It has some of the best plastic surgeons on staff in the area, and you now need the best,not the cheapest.  good Luck.

Paul Silverstein, MD (retired)
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Pus after liposuction

Puss after widespread liposuction with the Burns that you describe is a life-threatening emergency and you should be seen immediately in an operating room. Do not delay, do not concern yourself with no one able to see you because the surgery was done out of the country. Hope everything turns out well for you.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS
Louisville Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Out of the country

I agree with all answers.  Go to the Emergency Room.  Do not go to an urgent care as they will likely not have access to a plastic surgeon.

Unfortunately I have seen this before with out of the country surgery.  Any perceived money saved is rapidly consumed when you don't have someone to take care of you on your return.  I always recommend a board certified plastic surgeon near home.

If you have not already gone, get to the ER now.  I wish you the best.

James D. Frost, MD
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 10 reviews


The ER is your best option. They are required to see and treat you. ...............................................................................................................

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.