Can I get implants without a lift? (photos)

Is it possible for me to get saline implants (under the muscle of course) without a breast lift? I want to go up a cup size.

Breast Augmentation Fullness

A breast augmentation increases the volume of your breast tissue for a fuller cup size through the insertion of a breast implant. The result will increase breast size and provide additional cleavage. Depending on your current breasts and goals, the type of implants recommended may vary and a breast lift may also be necessary. It is best to discuss your goals during an in-office consultation with your board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Implants alone can’t change breast shape or location.

Without examining you, it’s difficult to say with certainty what your best course of action is. However, based on your photos, it appears that a lift with implants would likely be your best option, although a breast augmentation alone could be possible if you’re dead set against a lift. Without a lift, it’s important to understand that your breast shape and position will not be affected and the nipple asymmetry that you have won’t be corrected. If you’re okay with an increase in volume and no other changes, implants alone may be enough. Also keep in mind that adding the additional weight of the implant in the breast pocket could exacerbate the sagging that has already taken place. Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon and carefully consider your goals before moving forward with your procedure. Best of luck. 

Breast implants without a lift?

Breast implants alone will add volume and possibly the illusion of a breast lift, at least, in the short term.  Ultimately, your breasts will look like they do now only larger if you only do a breast augmentation.  Based on your pictures, you appear to have good breast volume relative to your body frame so I am not sure how much larger you might want to go.  If you put the implants below your chest muscle, the implants may sit too high on your chest wall, giving you too much fullness in the upper portion of your breasts.  Based on your pictures, I would suggest that you would get a perkier shape to your breasts with a short scar lift procedure.  The trade-off would be the scars.  The addition of implants for more volume would be something to discuss with your surgeon.  I suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you in person and review your options with you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Implants

Yes, you can obtain a nice result with implants partially under the muscle. You do not absolutely need a lift, and in fact just an augmentation will look very natural with minimal scarring.  

Can I get implants without a lift

Can you have implants without a lift, the short answer is yes, but there are trade offs. Your breast will be larger and rounder, that is the positive. The negatives are that you will be saggier and the implant on the left is starting saggier than the right so that side will have less implant underneath the muscle as we are trying to place the implant symmetrically behind the nipple in cases where no lift is being done. As your left breast is lower than your right, that will not be corrected with implants alone.

Julio Garcia, MD

Implants without a Lift

You do have some ptosis and a lack of upper pole fullness. You can just do an implant, however the weight will likely cause the breasts to sag even more. You will appear more full and can move up a cup size like you want, but will probably still be pretty flat up top.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants with or without a lift

Based on these photographs, you should be fine to just do an augmentation.  However, it is not the worst thing in the world to have a peri-areolar lift with this operation.  This will all depend on your surgeon's aesthetic eye.

Jay Calvert, MD, FACS

To lift or not to lift

A good dual plane under the muscle or a well sized over the muscle implant will not need a lift in most cases like yours.   You also aren't burning any bridges and a small periareolar lift can always be done later in the office if you decide that you want it.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Lift or not?

Hello. Thanks for the question. You may have a lift with the dual-plane approach partially under the muscle as long as you are willing to  accept that your fuller breasts will be low-lying. The breasts will appear less perky but much fuller. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Breast implants with or without a lift

Your photos appear to demonstrate a mild amount of ptosis (sagginess), and usually, this can be improved with implants alone. You would have to be examined to determine if this is a possibility, but a lift with implants carries more risk, more recovery, more scars, and more cost. If a lift can be avoided, it is best. However, you may have a slight amount of drooping of your breast over the implant initially, but once the implants settle (2-3 months), you should obtain a nice result. You can always have the lift done as a second procedure in 4-6 months if necessary. This way you do not commit to all the issues mentioned above.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon