Is this the ideal outcome of a full tummy tuck with lipo? Is further work needed or just exercise? (Photos)

More work? Is this the ideal outcome of a full tummy tuck and lipo?I had a full TT, lipo, and an umbilical hernia repair 15 months ago, then had to have another surgery to repair another hernia with mesh 9 months ago. Based on these images would you recommend further repairs on the pooch that's left or the belly button?

How long do swelling last after an abdominoplasty?

I'm not sure why mesh would be required after an abdominoplasty but you had to significant operations on the abdomen. The hyperpigmentation in the scar suggest that there still inflammation and consequently swelling after your operation. Continue to remain patient. Some of the scar appears wide and may benefit by scar revision in the future

Results from tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  It would be helpful to see a photo from before surgery, for comparison.

That said, your results look good.  I'm not sure what, exactly, you are hoping to improve upon.  Also, you had two surgeries on your abdomen within the past year, so you can expect more prolonged swelling over a longer period of time.

Does this fullness you describe come and go?  Or is it always the same? If it fluctuates, then it's swelling related to healing.  If it's always there, then it's likely something you can work on through diet and exercise.

I hope this helps.  Warmly,
Dr. Kavali

Carmen Kavali, MD

Dr. Derby sang Caputo

thank you for your question and your photo.

I consider you should wait onto a year on deciding on having another surgery done. I suggest you to wait because you already have good results and it could be risky, after that consult a board certified PS and go over any concerns you have. In the meantime i agree on doing exercise.

Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy Tuck Outcome at 15 Months Post-Op

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

While the scars and swelling may still be settling with the finality of the healing process, you should not hesitate visiting your surgeon to have the area examined if you are at all concerned. Good luck.

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In this regard, I'm totally agree with you, therefore i recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Abdominoplasty

It looks like you have a very acceptable result from your surgery. Any additional surgery can come with complications as any surgery would.

Should I have any other surgery to strengthen my abdomen and repair a bulge of the belly button.î

Thanks for your question.  I wish that I could . give you an answer to your very good question.  You should always consider the risk benefit aspect of a procedure, and having more than one procedure already adds to the complexity of  a new procedure.  Only you and your Plastic Surgeon will be able to answer this for you.  I would say that your current photos  look pretty good.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

tummy tuck question

Without the benefit of preoperative photos is difficult to comment on your result. However, the shape and contour of your abdomen following the procedure is pleasing. I would avoid additional surgery unless you have a specific issue that your surgeon feels is correctable.

No more surgery

No more surgery is recommended at this time. You have a good result.  Resume normal activity and exercise.    

Vasdev Rai, MD

Is this an ideal outcome of a full TT with lipo?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your extended recovery due to your second hernia repair.  Unfortunately without having been present at your initial consultation with your plastic surgeon it is difficult to know if you have reached your "ideal" result as each patient has differing desires.  If your belly button causes you concern or you feel that your stomach has excess skin / adipose tissue you can have a revision procedure performed.  Hope this helps.