I am trying to get Tummy Tuck by Feb. I have to loose 40 pounds by then. Any tips to help me get there?

Tummy Tuck Back-to-Work

When preparing for an abdominoplasty or a tummy tuck, it is highly recommended for patients to be at their desired, yet maintainable weight as significant weight loss and/or gain can shift the results of a tummy tuck. I recommend developing a healthy lifestyle plan with your primary care physician that consists of healthy eating and exercise. Your doctor will be able to help you reach your goal weight and ensure you are healthy enough for surgery. With dedication and a healthy lifestyle regimen, your weight loss goals may be attainable and your tummy tuck will give you results you will appreciate more. In order for you to be the most satisfied with your surgery, please take this into consideration. Best of luck with your surgery! 

Losing Weight

Hi Shaquana2019,

Thank you for your questions, losing  weight before surgery can give you better results just make sure the weight that you lose  is maintainable for you after surgery. The best candidates for surgery are patients that are at a stable weight. Best of luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Losing Weight Before Tummy Tuck

To lose 40 pounds by February will work out to about 5 pounds a month, which is reasonable as long as you are in good health. Everyone will tell you you can reach your goal by diet and exercise, but sometimes that is a lot easier said than done, some people need a support system. You might think about trying an organization like Weight Watchers that encourages healthy eating along with good support. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your decision to pursue surgery.  The best method of weight loss is through a healthy diet and exercise regimen until you reach your desired goal weight.  I would recommend also employing the use of a nutritionalist and/or personal trainer to help you in your weight loss journey. With their assistance to identify areas of nutritional deficiencies as well as the opportunity to supply motivation and accountability you should see steady improvement in your weight and overall appearance. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the question. You are wise in achieving your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.

I would suggest that you start with your primary care physician for a general medical workup; make sure there are no conditions such as hypothyroidism, that may make weight loss more difficult.
You may also benefit from consultation with “professionals” such as weight loss physicians, nutritionists and/or personal trainers.

Best wishes as you work towards your goals (make it your priority and I am sure you will be successful!) and for a tummy tuck outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Dr derby

A good and healthy diet gets you 80% on your way,together with enough exercise on a weekly basis. I am sure you will get there,you have a great goal. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD