I would like a tummy tuck, along with that maybe some back lipo (Photo)

I want to know what to do? I have had two consultations and one went great (i just cannot afford 12 dollars right now). The other was a complete flop. I am 27, 5 feet 9 1/2 inches tall around 275. I would like to know some of the best options for me.

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards

Body Mass Index/Obesity Surgical Risks

Thank you for your question and photos. Many Plastic Surgeons will require that your BMI or body mass index be below 30 in order to have a safe and aesthetically optimal surgical outcome. Visceral or intra-abdominal fat must be reduced with diet and exercise changes.

1. Patients who fall within the normal BMI range are typically better suited to surgery. The possibility of related complications occurring is dramatically reduced, making the surgery safer for you.
  2. Numerous studies have shown that better results are achieved when patients are within the normal BMI range.

Your BMI measures over 40 at the moment so it may help to consult with a nutritionist or your primary care physician to help set you up to plan for a great outcome.

When you are ready, be sure to seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon with expertise in this area.

All the best

Tummy tuck and liposuction candidate?

Thank you for your question. I suggest you undergo a weight loss program until you reach an ideal stable weight with a BMI lower than 30. Higher BMI patients are at increased risk of complications. The closer you are to your goal weight the better your results will be. A regular exercise routine is also helpful preparation before your surgery. By building muscle, you increase your basal metabolic rate. This makes it easier to avoid weight gain, especially in the postoperative period when physical activity is minimal. Cardiovascular exercise strengthens the heart and promotes a faster recovery from surgery. Your regular exercise routine, it is much easier to resume these activities after recovering from surgery.  That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. A key quality indicator is Board Certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Surgery and weight

You need to lose weight first before you consider surgery.  Patients with high BMI's are at increased risk of complications.

Tummy tuck and back Lipo?

With the motivation from knowing that you are a good candidate for future tummy tuck and liposuction procedure I am hopeful that you can lose significant weight and stabilize at a maintainable weight before undergoing surgery. The risks to your general health and well-being would be so much less including a decreased risk of infection, seroma and pulmonary embolism.  Be certain that your BMI is below 30 before undergoing any surgery that is elective.  Once you achieve that reduced BMI your results will be better and probably longer-lasting making the entire effort worthwhile.  Stay healthy. Best regards,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Tummy Tuck

It looks like you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck and some lipo.  Of course this would depend on your medical history, etc.  You would need to be seen to determine which variation would be best for you.  Good Luck!

Lawrence Rosenberg, MD
Lutherville Timonium Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be used to better define your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

I would like a tummy tuck, along with that maybe some back lipo

Thank you for the question and pictures. Congratulations on your weight loss thus far.  Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  

As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.   You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider your options. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I believe you would be a good candidate for a Brazilian lipoabdominoplasty but i would recommend losing some weight first, so that your BMI is at least 30 or below. When you reach a BMI range of 30 or below it is best to maintain that weight for at least 3-6 months before having your surgery performed. If your BMI is higher than 30 you put yourself at a higher risk of complications occurring and if your weight fluctuates too much after your surgery it can affect your results. So I would wait until you reach a healthy weight that you are satisfied with then have your surgery performed. It is important to remember to continue to live a healthy balanced lifestyle though diet and exercise even after surgery to maintain your results. 

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I think you are an excellent extended tummy tuck or belt lipectomy patient once you reach your desired goal weight.  At your current BMI of over 40 you are at an increased risk of complications that make a surgery such as a tummy tuck risky. I would follow a healthy diet and exercise plan to lose weight and recommend employing the use of a nutritionalist and/or personal trainer to help you in your weight loss journey. With their assistance to identify areas of nutritional deficiencies as well as the opportunity to supply motivation and accountability you should see steady improvement in your weight and overall appearance that will not only allow you a better future cosmetic result but will be safer for your health.  Hope this helps.