I am scheduled to have a BA and Liposuction of thigh area in 2 weeks. I have a history of deep vein thrombosis?

I am scheduled to have a BA and Liposuction of thigh area in 2 weeks. I have deep vein thrombosis and wondering what the risks are that I develop another blood clot. What do I do to prevent another dvt. I am not on any medication currently.

Blood clots and #plasticsurgery

First and foremost, please disclose your medical history to your surgeon if you haven't.  I can only assume that this was not discussed at your consultation since you are asking this question--it should have been addressed when you had your consultation and decided to have surgery.  For my patients, I place Sequential Compression Devices (SCDs) on their legs during surgery to reduce blood clot (of DVT) risk AND for patients that have a history of DVT or pulmonary embolism (PE) I ask my anesthesiologist to administer Lovenox during surgery. Lovenox is an injection of a temporary blood thinning medication that reduces the risk of blood clots.  Some patients will also be sent home with this medication to self-administer for a period of time after surgery, depending on their risk and the surgery they are having.  This really is a conversation you need to have with your surgeon and your primary doctor. Also, it must be known that even with appropriate prevention, nothing reduces the DVT risk to zero. Good luck!

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  The first step would be to ensure that your ASPS board certified plastic surgeon is aware of your DVT history.  They should inquire as to a series of possible risk factors that places you at an increased risk of developing another DVT, and determining whether the need for a consultation with a hematologist is indicated to maintain your safety during surgery and recovery.  Hope this helps.

I would put you on Lovenox post op

You definitely need to remind your board certified PS (if he/she is not board certified then you should switch).  i would use pneumatic stockings during your surgery and start you on Lovenox 12 hours after surgery and have you take it for 8 evenings.Also being on the birth control pill will slightly increase your risk of DVT. it is also important that you be up walking after your surgery  but that should certainly happen after your surgery, anyhow.
david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

DVT risk

I recommend you see a hematologist to evaluate you for DVT risk and work up. Sometimes a diagnosis will help clear up the cause and allow the exact treatment. Usually SCDs during surgery, ambulating soon after surgery and starting lovenox post op will prevent DVTs. Good luck

Blood clots and plastic surgery

Although deep vein thrombosis (blood clots) are a dangerous risk from any type of surgery, they are fortunately uncommon, and a large body of research to help doctors understand and prevent their occurrence is now available.  If you have had a blood clot in the past, the most important thing you should do is visit a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and make sure they are aware of this aspect of your medical history.  Based on a number of factors, your doctor can determine if any special considerations must be made in anticipation of your procedure. Best of luck,
Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Prevention of deep vein thrombosis.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon.  Several therapies are considered for patients with a history of DVT. Your surgeon should have a detailed pre-op check list for you to follow.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

DVT history and lipo

You need to discuss this with your surgeon and likely need to get an evaluation by a hematologist.  Best of luck.

History of DVT in the past, Now about to have surgery?

You need to be very careful and make sure your PS knows about your prior history. There are guidelines available through the American Heart Association (AHA) and the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) that address patients' risk factors of developing DVT (blood clots) and treating this before and after surgery. In your case, because you already had blood clots in the past, your risk is higher than the average population. It would be advisable to see a hematologist (doctor that specializes in blood clotting) before scheduling your surgery. Good Luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Venous thromboembolism (VTE)

The American Society of Plastic Surgeons started a VTE Awareness campaign years ago to provide surgeons with resources to assess an individual patient's risk and minimize all our patients' risks.   The Caprini scale was developed and tested in other surgical disciplines and based on this a Thrombosis Risk Factor Assessment scale has been developed for plastic surgery patients (see the ASPS website).  Your history of DVT absolutely is a risk factor for your upcoming surgery, but is only part of the story.  You need a more thorough assessment to determine your risk (do you have a genetic predisposition, are you on OCP's, is there a family history?   ....).  I suggest you discuss this at length with your operative surgeon to make certain that you are being adequately treated to minimize your risk.  Best of luck.

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon