I want a natural looking nose but don't want drastic change. What should I get done? (photos)

I've always hated my nose. I want to get ride of the hump but I feel once that is gone, the tip will be too "strong" and look as though I have a triangle-shaped nose with a large point. I want change but not drastic change, what could I possibly get done? I also included 2 photos of me facing forward to show the "triangle-shape" I am referring to.

Dear mhstafford4, A natural looking rhinoplasty can be performed in the hands of an expert surgeon. Since you are on realself already I would suggest that you look for surgeons who have a large amount of reviews and then read the reviews. If a large portion of those reviews are regarding rhinoplasty surgery then you will know that the surgeon denotes a large portion of his/her practice to the speciality of rhinoplasty. Then review the surgeons before and after photographs to ensure natural looking rhinoplasty results. Once you have done these steps you can schedule consultations and have imaging performed which will show you the proposed results. Once these are determined as the desired result then the surgeon will discuss in detail the techniques that will be used to provide the desired nose. To see some examples of natural looking rhinoplasty results see the link below and the process of previewing your nose by digital imaging in the video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D. 

I want a natural looking nose but don't want drastic change. What should I get done?

Thank you for your question. Rhinoplasty consultations should be done in person with a board certified plastic surgeon. Rhinoplasty patients start their path to surgery with an initial consultation to discuss the procedure and to answer any questions. The consultation also helps ensure that surgery is right for patients. The best candidates for rhinoplasty are those who are looking for improvement, not perfection, in the appearance of their nose. During your consultation, you will discuss your goals, medical background, medications, and other factors. You will also participate in an examination, which includes a general evaluation of your health as well as an examination of your nose. Finally you will review the likely outcomes of surgery and the possible risk. The cost of a rhinoplasty can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Based on your photos, you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. I recommend you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your surgical options.

Rhinoplasty without changing too many nasal parameters

Thank you for the question. You are overall a very pretty girl with a nose that has a few imperfections, most notably the dorsal hump as you pointed out. I recommend you see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for a consultation to discuss your desires. You should also review his or her before and after photos of actual patients to judge what can realistically be achieved and if your expectations are in line with the surgeon's. When performing a rhinoplasty, instead of putting someone else's nose on the face, we like improving and perfecting the nasal appearance to still be in balance with the remainder of the face. The nasal surgery needs to be customized to every patient. Some patients require minimal changes, whereas others require some more noticeable changes. This is best discussed in person, though. Good luck!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open Rhinoplasty to Adjust Tip and Dorsal Hump

I would agree with your assessment that in addition to have a dorsal hump, that your tip is overly large and overly projecting (i.e., sticks too far out from the face to be aesthetically ideal, and is somewhat long). The best approach would be an open rhinoplasty, which would allow the overall tip projection to be reduced while retaining the overall attractive features of your nose, in addition to removing the hump and rotating the tip up, shortening the nose somewhat. With these maneuvers, the many attractive features of your nose could be preserved, resulting in a natural but softer appearance

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Removing The Bump From Your Nose Would Change The Appearance of the Rest of Your Nose

Your intuition is good.  While getting rid of the bump would make things look better, it will change the perspective of the rest of the nose.  Given the rest of the photos that you sent it is likely that making some subtle changes to the rest of the nose would make the overall result much better. Look for an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in your area who does computer imaging as a part of his or her preoperative evaluation.  This way you can get an idea as to what your nose would look like if only the bump was removed, and if you wanted to do more, could see the kinds of things that could be done. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD
Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon

mhstafford4, you should get a rhinoplasty done by a surgical specialist that does "only faces" and has years of experience with excellent photos. Exactly how this would be done in terms of technique would require a hands on exam to feel your nose and evaluate your features in 3D. Search the Internet and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

If the appearance of your nose concerns you, it can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon(otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS 
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Natural looking nose.

You've made some good observations about yourself and changes you would like. More then anything your case demonstrates the tremendous interrelationship of all parts of the nose and how changing one part affects the other. If you just take down the bump it will exaggerate the overprojection of your nose and emphasize the "triangle' you are referring to. If (when) you set this back you will get flaring and widening of your nostrils which will have to be addressed. It is very important for you to find a surgeon able to conceptualize, present to you in a clear way and address all these steps that are needed for you to get an optimal result.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

If  you do not want a drastic change, then just have the bump taken down.  Best of luck.................