I have medicaid and medicare Cigna Health Springs. Do you think I could have the dr try and push it thru my insurance? (Photo)

I want to have my butt and hips reduced dramatically they are so heavy and my butt causes my back yo hurt daily it has caused my L1-5 to mess up and its so inconvenient and I can't ever get my clothes yo fit right...I haven't been comfortable since middle school

Liposuction Through Insurance

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that you are having discomfort, but unfortunately insurance does not cover liposuction. Many offices that perform elective surgeries do offer financing options. I would consult with your physician regarding your concerns.

Dr. Leonard Lu

I have medicaid and medicare Cigna Health Springs. Do you think I could have the dr try and push it thru my insurance?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. Hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Hello. Health insurance will never cover an elective body contour procedure performed by a plastic surgeon despite your symptoms. See a general surgeon or bariatric surgeon who can offer weight loss options. Good luck. 

Liposuction paid by Medicaid please?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• I am so sorry you are so troubled by your excess fat.
  • No insurance will pay for cosmetic liposuction.
  • These are self-pay procedures to improve appearance, not health.
  • Medicaid/Medicare is tax-funded payment of essential health care for people who can't afford it - cosmetic procedures are never covered.
  • Bariatric surgery for weight loss - might be covered by insurance - ask your regular doctor about this.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Insurance coverage of elective cosmetic surgery

Thank you for the question and the photographs. Unfortunately this is considered a cosmetic procedure and therefore not covered by insurance. Best wishes.

Medicaid and elective cosmetic surgery

No insurance plan, public or private, will cover liposuction for shaping buttocks and thighs. It is cosmetic in nature, period.  Your best bet is to embark on a lifestyle change that involves healthier food choices and a more active lifestyle--you'll be shocked what you can accomplish!

Carmen Kavali, MD

Buttock reduction

This will not be covered by insurance that I have found in 37 years.they look for ways not to pay.Good luck

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of the back issues your butt has caused you.  Unfortunately in nearly all cases of liposuction insurance companies deem the procedure to not be "medically necessary" and will not cover the expense.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person consultation to discuss treatment and  financing options.  Best wishes.