I had lipoma removed a month ago, went back twice to have fluid drain; I still have awful pain in the area?

#Lipoma Removal

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you contact your surgeon to discuss your concerns at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Pain after Lipoma removal

Having fluid accumulate after a lipoma is removed always happens, to a degree. It is just a question as to whether or not the body resorbs it faster than it is being made. Whether or not you notice fluid depends on where the surgical site is (i.e. is it in a place close to the skin that is moving a lot? or having pressure put on it from sitting or lying down?) and how much surgery was done (i.e., how big a lipoma was removed). At a certain point, the tissue tightens and feels hard, and "learns" to soften up again. Its hard to tell from your question what the pain complaint is. If it is pressure and more fluid, then repeated drainage or drain placement is the answer. If there is not a lot of fluid to speak of, it may just be the healing process which is uncomfortable, but is temporary. At 4-8 weeks, usually the process is the "worst", which is where you are now anyway. Your doctor may want to make sure this is the case, so call he or she if you have concerns that haven't been addressed for sure. 

I had a lipoma removed a month ago, went back twice to have fluid drained; I still have awful pain in the area?

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues.  It is a bit unusual to have significant pain after a lipoma removal and I would recommend revisiting your surgeon to voice your concerns and to have an in-person examination performed.  Whether nerve irritation or reaccumulation of fluid, a diagnosis needs to be made in order to offer the best treatment recommendation.  Best wishes.

#Lipoma - still have awful pain

I'm sorry about the problem you're having, and it sounds unusual so it's important that you be taken care of by a surgeon who can examine you in person.  If the fluid has reaccumulated, then it may make sense to insert a drain, which should allow constant drainage, or even to open the incision (with the same intent).  This can happen with large lipomas, and it's possible that there was a little blood or fluid in the space where the lipoma was, and that it has not completely been drained yet (as opposed to more fluid forming).  Either way, you need to be treated by your own, or another, board-certified plastic surgeon.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500