I hear some women say they lose cc's under the muscle, Do you lose cc's over the muscle as well? (photo)

Size lost. I'm a 450cc over the muscle. 6 days post op. Will I get smaller after swelling goes down?

I hear some women say they lose cc's under the muscle, Do you lose cc's over the muscle as well?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. It is much too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed. This is best done many months from now. At this point, I would suggest: rest, recovery, and patience. Best wishes.

Loose cc's from breast implants

The volume of the silicone gel breast implant is fixed and does not change over time. What does change is swelling which starts to dissipate after the first 48 hours or so and is mostly gone by one month after surgery. Because there is some tension in the muscle that the implant may be under, this can produce a flattening effect over the implant making it look like it's bulging less. As this muscle relaxes the implant will produce a more rounded shape to the chest wall. In contradistinction to that, the placement of an implant over the muscle is in an adynamic pocket without tension other than the inherent elasticity of the skin. These implants tend to look more rounded sooner than a sub muscular placement. Only 10% or so of the volume is do to swelling. Congratulations on your surgery and I hope your result is perfect.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

What the other women are describing is really tissue swelling that is going away with time. The implant volume doesn't change. I don't notice a big difference in the amount of swelling with under or over the muscle placement.

Losing ccs

No, you don't lose ccs from the implant. The tissue swelling decreases slowly over 2-3 months and the form changes slowly over 8-10 months or more. Expect some changes for that long.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Thank you for your question and photograph, and it appears that you will have a very nice result. After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. You may see some loss of size as your swelling resolves, but the volume within the implant will also redistribute towards the lower portion of your breast achieving a more natural appearance, and filling your bra cup more. I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Changes after breast augmentation

I would not worry. You will lose some fullness over the next few weeks as swelling resolves, but not a tremendous amount. In the meantime, the breast tissues will relax and accommodate for the implant better, so it allows the breast to "drop and fluff" and settle into its pocket, thereby appearing more full. These two processes can often cancel each other out over several months. You are still so early in the process, just give it time. You appear to be thin, and with 450 cc implants, that is a nice size. Going too big has consequences as well.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon