I am in need of a full lift but I have a known allergy to many adhesives; will this make the healing process more difficult?

What is done differently/ used in place for patients with adhesive allergies? Does this make healing the sutures more difficult?

Discuss Specifics With Your Surgeon

This is an interesting question and one that should be discussed during your surgical consultation. Plastic surgeons typically use sutures as part of a facelift procedure; adhesive strips aren't necessary in most cases. Ultimately, it depends on the surgeon's personal preference and the technique used. Make sure you see an experienced plastic surgeon with ample facial plastic surgery experience. Good luck with your procedure.

Facelift query

Allergy or sensitivity to tape and any other allergies should be discussed with your surgeon and the anesthesia team before surgery.  Typically IVs that are used to administer medications and fluids are secured with some type of tape or more commonly with Tegaderm Transparent Film (Latex free).  You could certainly have this tested before surgery. 

Although individual practices vary there is no need for adhesives or tape during or after facelift surgery so your allergy would have no impact on the healing process.  

J. David Holcomb, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. You should discuss all allergies during your consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Your surgeon can amend your procedure and recovery guidelines to work with your allergies, although I would recommend you update your list of known allergies if it has been a few years since that work was completed.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and Adhesive Allergy

Having an allergy of any kind should be discussed within your initial consultation with your board-certified plastic surgeon. If you are unable to use any type of adhesive, be sure to discuss this with your doctor, as there may be other options available to you.

You should bring up any and all allergies you may have. Talking this through with your surgeon may be helpful in developing your personalized treatment plan to help you achieve the results you want and to allow you to heal properly.

Best of luck! And again, if you have any questions, contact your surgeon.

Adhesive allergy, will this affect a facelift?

Allergies are important to know so always alert your surgeon.  Explain to them your concerns.

Adhesives are not routine in most face lifts, so this should not be an issue.  If you have had issues to sutures, antibiotic ointment or latex these should also be disclosed.

Depending on the degree of your sensitivity or allergy the tape around the I.V. placement can me managed successfully after it is removed.

You should expect a normal surgical event, but again be sure to discuss these issues with your surgeon.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #BOTOX

Dear Atlrealselfaccount

Thank you for your question!  The adhesives in tape may be an issue. You can test a piece on your forearm to see if you are allergic, in advance of the surgery.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Adhesive allergy

Fortunately, adhesives do not typically play much of a role during or after facelift surgery, so be sure to verify this is the case with your surgeon. I would expect your healing to progress normally, even with this type of allergy. Hope this helps!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift - will an allergy to adhesive affect my healing?

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

You are in luck - your allergy will not affect your face lift or its healing.
Although a little taping is sometimes used after a face lift, all you need to do is make sure your surgeon doesn't use any - it is not necessary.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Atlrealselfaccount, talk with your surgeon and tell him your allergies to get an accurate answer. Make sure you see a specialist that does "only faces" and is familiar with deep plane techniques. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adhesive allergy contraindication to facelift

Hello and thank you for your question.

All surgeons do things a little differently. However I do not use any adhesives when I perform a full facelift. This really shouldn't hamper your ability to get a facelift. Best to discuss with your surgeon though. Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD