I am in need of a full Breast lift but I have a known allergy to adhesives; will this make the healing process more difficult?

What will be used in place of the typical steri strips I always read about?

Breast lift - can I have it done if I am allergic to adhesives?

Thank you for your question about your breast lift.

Good news - you can certainly have your breast lift -
Just discuss your allergy with your surgeon and be sure no tape is used -
Since steristrips rarely cause allergies, your surgeon may want you to wear one on your skin before surgery to see if you are truly allergic to its adhesive - unless you are sure you are.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Needing a full breast lift

Allergy to adhesives will not be a problem. Consider a breast lift technique that does not require breast implants for upper pole fullness and does not require the very visible vertical scar. Attached is a video of a patient who underwent The Horndeski Method breast lift without implants and without vertical incisions.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Adhesive allergy

This should not be a major problem.  I usually test my patients with allergies or sensitivities preoperatively.  Paper tape may work.  Dermabond may work also.  Tape is not absolutely required to have a good outcome.

Adhesive allergy

As you long as you let your surgeon and the staff in the operating room know about your allergy, there are alternative products that can be used with similar results as steri-stips that don't have adhesives.  Steri-strips are by no means a necessity for the procedure and won't affect you ultimate outcome.

Good luck 

Khashayar Mohebali, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and allergy to adhesives

As long as your surgeon and the OR staff know about your adhesive allergy there is NO reason for you not to have the Breast Lift. The surgery CAN easily be done without the use of steri-strips. I have not used them in well over 10 years.
Make sure they know and everything should go well.

Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN

Adhesive Sensitivity

You can certainly have a breast lift.  As long as your plastic surgeon and the surgical staff know that you have an adhesive and/or tape sensitivity ahead of time there are options that can be used.  Good Luck!

Timothy A. Janiga MD, FACS

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many different options.  I perform many breast lifts on patients with adhesive allergies.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Adhesive allergy and lift

No, it should not be  a problem to perform a breast lift without using adhesives.  Just let your doctor know about your allergies.  Best of luck.

Many patients are sensitive to tapes. Not using them shouldn't affect the healing process too much.

Wearing the bra longer usually helps.

Breast Lift: Your surgeon can use an alternative to adhesives

Your surgeon can definitely help you with this. Standard bandages and paper tape can be used. When a patient tells me that she is allergic to adhesives but isn't sure about steri-strips I test her pre-operatively with a small small steri-strip on her forearm – if she is comfortable with this test idea. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon