I want a defined, awesome jawline. Suggestion? (photos)

I've recently lost 40 lbs. I was really excited to see if the fat and saggy skin around my neck would go away after that, but it didn't. I am SICK of having this soft, saggy jawline. I am 35 and look way older than my age due to this fat under my face. I would love to know what I need and where I should go. Also, I know you can't give me a quote, but I would love a ballpark range of prices for how much this stuff will cost since I am self pay. Thank you!

Neck contouring

If you have reached your weight loss goals and your weight is stable Laser Assisted Neck Contouring is an extremely effective method to reduce fullness under the chin and in the neck.  I use a special fiber laser (AccuSculpt) to help remove the unwanted fatty tissue through several needle punctures.  If the desired neck contour is achieved after laser liposuction the procedure is done.  If platysma muscle laxity and/or fullness is present then a small incision under the chin is used to address these additional concerns.  This may be all that you need at this point but depending on the severity of skin laxity more extensive procedures may be recommended.     

Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minimally invasive methods to improve jawline

It looks like you could be a candidate for minimally invasive (ie not face or neck lift surgery) to improve your jawline. I would suggest neck liposuction in combination with a tightening procedure called ThermiTight. With the amount of loose skin, I am concerned that the more non-invasive methods of tightening will not do the job. The other option is surgery. Either way, I am optimistic you can get some nice jawline improvement!

defined jawline

First it is important to be at your ideal body weight with a BMI of less than 34 before undergoing elective cosmetic facial and neck surgery.  If the skin tone is adequate, then the fatty deposits can be removed with a neck lift procedure.  If the skin tone is poor, a lower face and neck lift will be required.  To obtain a defined jawline requires removal of fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle in addition to a platysma plasty.  

Defined, awesome jawline?

Congratulations on your weight loss! Your photos are not truly adequate to evaluate your lower face and neck. However, from what I can see you have loss of jawline definition and ptosis of the neck and sub-mental area. Do you plan on losing more weight? Weight really does effect the lower face and neck. The best solution you your situation is a lower lift (neck and jawline), But you would do best if you were stable with your weight. Please consult with an experienced facial plastic surgeon to be evaluated and discuss your options.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

I want a defined, awesome jawline. Suggestion?

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties.  From the photos there's a late amount of loose skin in the neck that would require a full Neck Lift in addition to the minimally invasive lower SMAS facelift described below.   Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.