I am contemplating a breast reduction, but I am not sure if my breasts are too small or even need it. (Photo)

I know that only I can decide if the surgery is right for me, but I would just like another opinion. A little about me, I am 25, 5'3", 155lbs. I've lost a significant amount of weight (35lbs) in the past 9 months, and my breast size did not decrease at all. If anything, I think they appear to have larger, but this may be due to proportion changes from weight loss. I measure 33" around my ribcage, and my nipples are 29cm and 30cm respectively from the sternal notch. I currently wear a 34F.

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain.

In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery.

Kind regards 

Breast reduction - do I need it done?

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

• Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • A 34 F is a large size and if they did not get smaller with weight loss, you can't reduce them that way.
  • Reasons to have a breast reduction are these -
  • You just want smaller breasts because of disproportion -
  • Or your breasts cause problems such as neck, back and shoulder pain, difficulty exercising, discomfort from the size of breasts when you sleep.
  • Or you have significant asymmetry.
  • Your breasts are asymmetric and they look too large for your frame although photos can be distorting.
  • You are likely to be an excellent candidate for a breast reduction and it will make exercise easier.
  • I think at least you should have a consultation with a plastic surgeon to see what is involved and if it is the right choice for you.
  • You will have two basic options - a vertical lift with no crease scar but a possible minor revision six months after surgery to remove excess skin - or an anchor lift which is unlikely to need a revision and also gives a lovely result but which will leave a permanent, possibly unsightly scar in the breast crease.
  • Have your surgeon explain both options as well as other details so you can make an informed decision.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast reduction

It is up to you to decide if you want a breast reduction.  You can go for consultation to be properly evaluated.

Reduction

A reduction would lift both breasts and even their volumes out as well as reduce them both.  It would be a good procedure for you.  Discuss the technique and the scar locations with a plastic surgeon to ensure it is the right procedure for you. 

Breast reduction surgery candidate?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your significant weight loss!  Based on your description and picture, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery.  This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations to perform. However, much more information is needed to determine whether you should proceed with surgery, and if so when (timing).  In my practice, I individualize the “timing” of surgery based on a lot of information that is transmitted during the consultation process.  

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts. Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well.. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure.  Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well support iss for will I am sorry to hear about the complications i experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.  Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it will be important for you to communicate her goals carefully as well. In my practice, I asked patients to use as many “visual aids”, such as goal photographs, during the communication process. Be careful about utilizing terms such as “ideal” ( there is no such thing), “B or C cup” and/or “proportionate"… these terms can be confusing, since they may mean different things to different people.  Once you have communicated your goals,  your chosen plastic surgeon will be able to give you an estimate of how much breast tissue will likely need to be removed to achieve your goals.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps.  Best wishes.

Do you need a BR?

Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman's breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation. Breast reduction procedures are ideal for:

• Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
  • Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
  • Women with large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

Considering breast reduction surgery

Undergoing a traditional breast reduction requires removal of significant volume to relieve pain associated with pendulous large breasts. There is a newer solution for women like yourself. The Horndeski Method breast lift/reduction does not rely on massive volume removal to relieve pain. Unlike the traditional techniques (which rely on the skin envelope to hold the weight of the breasts in place), THM fashions an "internal bra" with straps that loop through your chest muscles using your own tissue (no mesh or foreign material is used) to hold the breasts in place. So, by transferring the weight of your breasts to the chest muscles, breasts remain perky longer, they can be elevated higher, and the pain from being too large is immediately relieved. Attached is a video of a woman who desired a lift without implants nor the ugly vertical incision. You are welcome to browse my gallery to see examples of reductions. This technique is revolutionary in that in resolves many of the problems associated with the traditional methods by improving long term outcomes, providing less scarring, maintaining nipple sensitivity and the ability to breast feed, and resolving the chronic pain issue by transferring weight to the muscles. I hope this helps. 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon