I am 59 years old and have dropped 73 pounds. I want a stomach tuck but afraid because of my age. From Fayetteville, NC

Worried about Age

Abdominoplasty candidates have:

·       excess abdominal skin which may sag

·       a disproportionate or protruding abdomen

·       weakened or separated abdominal muscles

·       excess fat concentrated in the abdomen

Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy. Older patients may be candidates for a tummy tuck due to reduced skin elasticity, family traits, age, immobility.

The best thing to find out regarding your age being a problem for a tummy tuck would be in consultation with a local board certified plastic surgeon. They will be able to tell you of any specific challenges they have with surgery.

Tummy tuck

All patients having a tummy tuck or any other elective procedure have full medical clearances in my office. Your medical clearance may require more steps but if you are in good health you will be totally fine

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Age has nothing to do with it!

It is your health, not your age that matters.  If you are healthy, then a tummy tuck can be done very safely by a well trained surgeon.  Chose your surgeon carefully -- make sure they are boarded by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- there is no substitute!  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and 59

I have treated patient in their 60's and a few in their 70's.  If you are healthy, it should not be a problem. Good luck.

I am 59 years old and have dropped 73 pounds. I want a stomach tuck but afraid because of my age.

Age by itself is not a contraindication to having abdominoplasty. If you are in good general health, you can certainly consider having this surgery. Discuss your history with your surgeon and your primary care physician to be sure that you are a good candidate.

Tummy tuck and age

At 59, if you are in good medical health, you may certainly be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  I have performed tummy tucks on healthy patients in their 70's.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

59-years-old Too Old For A Tummy Tuck?

Health, more so than age, is the more important measure of the ability to undergo surgery. There are people many years younger than you who would not qualify for a tummy tuck due to poor health or poor habits. You are definitely NOT too old. At 59, you have a lot of years ahead of you. You should be able to enjoy them feeling good about your body and with renewed self-confidence. Congratulations on the weight loss, and if you are deemed healthy enough for surgery after getting medical (including cardiac) clearance, then go for it! Best of luck. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Tummy Tuck at 59 years of age

Your age is not a factor, it is important that you are in good health. I have many patients that have had a tummy tuck in their 70's and have done very well. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon who will be able to determine if you are a candidate for surgery. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Tummy tuck

It isn’t necessarily your age that is the determining factor; it is the combination of your current health, medical history and anatomy. I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to perform a physical examination and review of your medical history to determine whether you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. If you have good overall health, no medical conditions that would put you at risk of complication and have adequate amount of loose skin then you should be candidate regardless of your age. Best of luck in your endeavors!

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. I invented the Malibu Tummy Tuck. Pain is very minimal compared to traditional techniques. The oldest patient I performed a Malibu tummy tuck on was 80 years old, and she only took Tylenol. It is not uncommon for patients to just take Tylenol after surgery. Many patients are driving at a week after surgery. I had a 64 year old who drove in 4 days after her tummy tuck. The Malibu Tummy Tuck gives you a youthful, natural looking belly button. I have patients that are in their late seventies who enjoy showing off their tummy in bikinis. For more information please see the enclosed video and I hope you find this information helpful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA