I am 34DD and am having 450 g removed from each breast, what size will I be after?

I am 5'5 weigh 135 and wear 34DD. Insurance dictates that 450 g be removed from each breast. My breasts are not firm but the size has caused neck and shoulder pain. (Actually had neck surgery earlier this year)

Final cup size following a breast reduction

Thank you very much for your question. Unfortunately, it is impossible to tell exactly what cup size you will wear, following your breast reduction. Cup sizes vary according to the bra manufacture. This means your cup size will depend on the brand of bra that you wear. I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to further discuss the breast reduction procedure.  

Breast size after breast reduction

The eventual size will depend on volume of breast tissue and the amount of skin. You will be somewhere between a D and full C depending on the bra manufacturer.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS

Impossible to answer

This is the one of the most common questions we hear and the most difficult to answer.  There is no standard that determines a "cup size".  We can measure, estimate and guess at a final cup size but in the end it will depend of the manufacturer of the bra and how you fit in it. 

The most important thing to know is that 99% of patients are pleased they had a breast reduction in my experience.  The Worth It rating on realself is 97%. 

Don't focus too much on an exact size.  Focus on improving your health. I hope you will find your experience as "worth it" as 97% of those on realself who have already had their reductions.

James D. Frost, MD
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

Estimating size

It is difficult to estimate your size without examining you in person. Best to be evaluating in the office during a physical exam.  Volume removal does not always predict a specific cup size.

What size after breast reduction?

Discussing size with any breast surgery is an important talk you should have with your surgeon.  The answer is not as easy as a simple formula and is largely based on estimations (which vary greatly with surgeon experience).  Your surgeon should be able to give you an estimate of what size you will be after surgery, but cannot promise you a specific cup size.  

Best of luck with your procedure.

What size will I be after breast reduction?

What size will I be? It's a reasonable question but it's difficult to answer, especially with out an in person consultation. I've attached a Web reference that will show you some of my reduction patients along with the grams removed. It may help you visualize your potential results. 

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Breast size after breast reduction surgery?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon (who you should choose very carefully). Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

Once you have communicated your goals carefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with an estimation of how much tissue will need to be removed, in order to achieve your desired outcome.

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.