I am a 26 year old who has always been embarrassed of how long of a nose I have. Would I be a good candidate for rhinoplasty?

What is the most effective option.

Answers (8)

Video imaging to assess the potential outcome of a rhinoplasty.

I don't think the appearance of your nose detracts from your attractive face. Modest changes you might perceive is favorable. Video imaging would be a good way to let you see how a change in the nose would affect the face.

53 reviews

From these photos, you seem to be a good candidate. See the morphs I made from your photos.

Click on the "Learn more" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_char007.html

I made a couple of computer morphs of your nose, and animations of the morphs, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

Mostly, I elevated that drooping tip. Then I lowered the little curve of a bump on the bridge of your nose.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Learn more" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon. You should only have surgery if you are able to make yourself very confident in your surgeon's skills. Read that page very carefully. Most plastic surgeons are quite poor at this operation, and I believe my advice will go a long way toward keeping you safe.

I'd love to hear what you think of the morphs. Did they seem to address your main concerns?

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for an attractive nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes an attractive nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

In your case in particular, you need to find a surgeon who understands all of the issues I mentioned, and how they fit together, and who can actually accomplish them in surgery. 

Rhinoplasty

A rhinoplasty to reduce the width of your lower tip cartilages would help rotation your tip superiorly and reduce the apparent length of your nose.  A slight dorsal reduction would also nicely separate your dorsum from your tip, providing a supratip break and a shorter appearing nose. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
59 reviews

What I be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty with a long nose?

A closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish lifting and nasal tip, shaving down the dorsal hump, and narrowing the bridge line with all the incisions placed on the inside of the nose.    To prevent the tip of the nose from drooping with smiling requires releasing of the depressor septi ligament.  For more information, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty.  I would recommend a tip refining rhinoplasty, dorsal hump reduction, and cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Would I be a good candidate for rhinoplasty?

Based on your photos but without an examination, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty to shorten the appearance of your nose and create better balance with your other facial features.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you whether you are an appropriate candidate for surgery and exactly what to do without  examining  you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
23 reviews

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

Based on your photos you could be a candidate for a conservative Rhinoplasty.    You are a lovely lady that could benefit from a more feminine nose.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person evaluation.

Rhinoplasty is an option

I do think your concerns can be addressed via rhinoplasty.  I would recommend you consult with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon that specialized in Rhinoplasty and has experience with "ethnic rhinoplasty" (yes, it's actually called that).  I would be sure they perform computer imaging to show you the proposed changes to your nose so you can see how it will balance with the rest of your face.  

Colin Pero, MD
Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
17 reviews

Ask a Provider

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors.
FOR FREE.