Do I have gynecomastia? (Photo)

I've done a self evaluation, when pinching around my areola I feel no mass. When I pinch inward all the way down to my muscle I feel something but I cannot tell if it is a gland or firm fat. It is kinda bumpy but when I pinch all around my chest is kind of has the same consistency. Ive been to a endocrinologist and he always does a body exam but has never said anything about gynecomastia when doing my chest exam. Im in the process of losing weight i read that chest fat os usually the last to go

Doctor Answers 7


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. I recommend an in person consultation for a proper diagnosis. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in male breast reduction, who has great photos, and is an expert in the field. 

Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 318 reviews

Gynecomastia surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

How to tell if you have gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are in the process of losing weight, you may want to post additional photos once you have lost that weight.  You appear to have a little chest wall fullness, which could be weight-related.  However, if you can feel tissue when you pinch as you describe, you may well have a mild case.  Raise your arm high above your head and press your opposite index finger into the nipple areola area.  You shouldn't feel a mass or lump there. Solid tissue that is easy to feel in that area may well be breast tissue.  Hope this helps.

George H. Pope, MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon

You have gynecomastia and are a good candidate for gynecomstia surgery,just chose the right surgon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter.
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.So be extremely careful choosing the right Plastic Surgeon at the beginning.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 89 reviews

The Types of Gynecomastia and Their Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From a photograph and description by you it's difficult to say 100% whether there is gynecomastia present. Usually, in the thinner patients, there is more of a cone than flat shape to the breast which is caused by a small amount of breast tissue just under the nipple and areola. From your photographs, that's what I think you have. Other patients, who are heavier, will sometimes have just fatty accumulation under the breast and in my experience, most will have some combination of both. I would recommend you be seen by a board-certified plastic surgeon in your region with experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS
Louisville Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 58 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question. Based on your photos, you do have some fullness in your chest, but I don't see an excess that causes hanging skin. That would be true gynecomastia--men that appear to have breasts. You said you have seen an endocrinologist, so I assume there are no medical reasons for you to have a full chest. I recommend you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to be evaluated. Chest sculpting with liposuction may be a good option for you. Safe weight loss if always a good plan for making changes to you body, but I agree, the chest can be a challenging place to make a difference. I hope this helps.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.