Is it good to massage my breast if I got them on top of the muscle?

I got silicone 575 breast implants on top of the muscle and it's been 4 weeks and they are still kinda hard can i massage them to make them soft and drop faster

Speak to your plastic surgeon

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you should speak to your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns. This is important because every surgeon has different perspectives, the only one that should be important is the one that operated on you ;)

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Early Breast Augmentation post op. Some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

In my practice, after performing a breast augmentation I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

To massage or not to massage

I would ask your primary surgeon what his or her recommendations are.  Their recommendation may depend upon the type or shape of implant they used.  For example, I am very conservative when using a shaped implant as massage done incorrectly can cause the implant to rotate which can become an issue.

Regards,
Dr. Denis Gonyon

Denis L. Gonyon, Jr., MD
Fort Collins Plastic Surgeon

Massage for silicone implants over the muscle

Congratulations on your recent surgery! Every surgeon has a specific recommendation on implant massage following breast augmentation. These recommendations can be patient specific as well. Your best bet would be to ask your surgeon for instructions regarding massage to ensure an optimal final result. Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

You should follow your surgeon's protocol about breast massage.

Different implants need different maintenance. Massage is good for some kind of implants.  It is bad for some other kind of implants.  It is best to call your surgeon and get the right advice.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Massage and implants

Some surgeons recommend massage and others do not.  It is best to ask your surgeon whether or not he recommends massage.

Massage

That's a very good question with not a lot of science but I'm sure a lot of opinions. In the days before most implants were placed under the muscle, it was thought that the massage and trying to keep the pocket larger than the size of the implant with the implant on top of the muscle was important in trying to prevent capsular contracture. With implants under the muscle, I believe the muscle provides its own massage. I do however have my patients massage early in the postoperative course with the implant under the muscle to allow for stretch of the muscle and  allow the implant to drop to the bottom of the pocket. There is certainly some controversy as to whether textured implants should be massaged. The theory here is that there is integration of the outside of the implant shell with the forming capsule. I would reach out to your plastic surgeon and find out what they recommend. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Is it good to massage my breast.

Certainly if your breast is tight many will recommend breast massage though there is a debate about whether it is helpful or not. There is no information to indicate that it is harmful if comfortable for you, and until we know better it might help. Double check with your surgeon as only he knows you best.

Massage for breast implants

Massage for implants does help with preventing capsular contracture IF the implants are smooth. If the implants are textured then DO NOT massage as you want the texturing to incorporate and prevent capsular contracture that way. As far as getting implants to soften and drop sooner, it is really more about the time it takes your body to heal and get rid of the inflammation.  In my practice I usually find it takes 6-8 weeks on top of the muscule and 8-12 under. 

I hope this helps, it truly sounds like you just need more time

Melinda Haws, MD

Implant massage

The massage is certainly more useful if the implants are sub muscular, but I think it would still help if they were sub glandular.  Implant massage is a critical part of the postoperative recovery from breast augmentation (like physical therapy is a critical part of the postoperative recovery from knee surgery). The space for the implant is meticulously crafted at the time of augmentation surgery, especially when the operation is performed using the surgical endoscope through the transaxillary approach. However, the distance from the nipple to the inframammary fold needs to stretch out to accommodate the implant (dropping) and the skin and muscle need to relax to give the desired shape (fluffing). Implant massage allows you to manipulate the pocket from the inside to direct the forces in the appropriate directions to mold the breast shape to the desired outcome. If the scar that is actively forming around the implant is allowed to heal without the influence of breast massage, the fold will not stretch appropriately (implant stays too high), the scar will attempt to contract in a linear way over the curved surface of the implant (breast shape will remain too flat), and the space will attempt to heal smaller and tighter than the implant (capsular contracture). Implant massage influences the scar formation on the inside at the most critical phase of the healing, allowing the space to be larger than the implant (mobility which creates the natural feel and bounce).

Implant massage starts at one week at 5 times per day for one minute at a time and continues at this pace until one month. I often see the patients weekly during this time to reinforce the technique and help the patients who need extra effort to soften the breasts. During this time period, the massage also breaks up the spasm, relieving the discomfort, particularly upon awakening from sleep (morning breast). During the day, every time there is the sensation of tightness, implant massage breaks up the spasm and relieves the discomfort, minimizing the need for narcotics. At one month, the force that can be exerted is increased but the frequency of massage decreases to 3 times per day. As the wound matures, the massage can decrease to once per day forever as maintenance. The patients integrate this into their shower routine.

Although some patients can get away with no massage, it is a common issue for those who stop the massage and make none of their follow up appointment to suddenly show up years after surgery claiming that they woke up one morning with a capsular contracture and implant malposition. Of course this did not happen overnight, but was a slow process that could have been prevented with daily maintenance massage and regular routine follow appointments on a yearly basis (which we provide for free, forever). With this type of perpetual follow up, it is possible to identify a problem early that might need a modification in the massage technique.

Implant massage involves moving the device up against the wall of the pocket, holding pressure against the surface of the scar. The specifics are determined on an individual basis guided by what the patient needs. In some patients it is simple and of little significance. In some patients it is a struggle to get the implants into the right position and to gain softness and mobility, but with the right technique and the appropriate dedication it is a huge success. For the patients that do not participate in the massage in a meaningful way, some will get away with their lack of dedication because they were going to have soft breasts no matter what. On the other hand, some patients will squander their opportunity to have an excellent result because they don't believe that the massage is necessary, or because they have been told by their friends or other doctors that they didn't need to perform massage. Regardless, they often require surgery that could have been avoided by following the postoperative instructions of a surgeon that has performed nearly 10,000 breast implant operations and has seen the healing of each of those patients and integrated the successes and failures of each one into a postoperative plan that really works.

I find no use for bands, straps, bras or appliances after breast augmentation surgery.