Am I good candidate for a TCA Peel? (Photo)

I'm Panamanian (African-American complexion). I suffered from and for many years and am left with pitted acne scars from picking. I'm interested in a TCA Peel but worry about hyperpigmentation issues and my skin being burned. Should I put my fears aside and go for it? My whole goal is to get rid of the pitted scars as much as possible and to clear up discoloration.

Doctor Answers 4

Micro needling and acne treatment before TCA

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Agreed that TCA at this stage is not the best for your skin type. My suggestion is that you see a general dermatologist to treat your acne and de- congest your skin first, then consider micro needling RF with an insulated device with PRP... all the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

What is safe for acne scars on darker skin tones

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

TCA peels are great and can be customized at different strengths for each patient's unique skin type and condition. By the look of your picture it seems like you'd be a good candidate for multiple microneedling treatments which would help the appearance of your acne scars.  Safe and effective on all types of skin microneedling exfoliates the outer layers of the skin which cause which create a controlled injury to the skin.  Your body, being the perfect machine, sends healing natural growth factors of your own to create new, healthy skin cells.  Minimum discomfort and downtime with great results.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Closing up ice pick scars should be done 1st before any peeling.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many ways to improve acne scars but most need to be excised or grafted etc.. 1st then later TCA or dermabrasions done. I doubt that TCA peels at this stage will make much improvement at all.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

You might also like...

Acne Scar Solutions with lasers, peels, and microneedling/prp

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist. This can be treated with peels, microneedling/prp, lasers and quality skin care. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.