Gained weight after TT. Is this normal?

I had a full TT and lipo of flanks and outer thigh on 08/10/16 and have gained weight is this normal if so how much is normal and how can I release some of this bloating and water retention safely? I am afraid I will ruin my results when is it safe to embark on diet?

Water retention

Hello,  thank you for sharing your doubts.   Fluids retention can occur after a TT and liposuction.   This will increase your weight. Eat healthy,  and follow instructions of your PS.   All this water retention will get better over the course of the next 2-3 months.  Have a great day.

Gained weight after TT. Is this normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your surgery.  At almost two weeks from surgery it is extremely common for patients to gain water weight following a TT and liposuction.  This occurs from the body's natural healing response as well as the fluid placed to perform the liposuction.  Once your body heals further, it will naturally and spontaneously rid itself of the extra water weight.  You can help yourself by walking frequently, maintaining a low sodium diet and staying hydrated. Hope this helps.

Weight gain after TT and liposuction

Thank you for your question.This is normal to weigh heavier and look larger early on in recovery due to swelling and water retention. Swelling will continue to go down over the next 4-6 weeks. It is important to continue a healthy, balanced life style through diet and exercise to obtain optimal results. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain post-op

This is indeed absolutely normal. Your body retains quite a lot of fluid after surgery and many people actually weigh MORE immediately after surgery than before. Over a period of 2-4 weeks this fluid mobilizes and is excreted.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Some water retention is normal

Some water retention is normal after surgery but this should resolve within two weeks after surgery.  If there is some persistent fluid retention after this time, you should speak with your surgeon.  It is usually not enough to compromise the results from the surgery.

Vijay K. Bindingnavele, MD
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Gained weight after tummy tuck, is this normal?

Thank you for your question. Healing after a tummy tuck is usually pretty straight forward.  There is a process of swelling and bruising that peaks at 3 days after surgery and then undergoes the first stage of major resolution in the first 2 weeks after surgery. Patients also experience fluid retention which makes them heavier than they were before surgery, this is all part of the healing process. The later phase of healing takes place over the 2-3 months after surgery where everything really settles and softens.  It is after this time that we are getting close to the final result, though this varies patient to patient. 

Weight gain after TT

Thank you for your question. It is quite normal immediately after surgery to gain weight and it varies from person to person. It will continue to change to normal levels in your early healing period. Please follow instructions from your PS.