Follow-up Question - "TummyTuck vs Mini TummyTuck...."

My follow-up question is regarding compression garments --are they required, can they be worn without squeezing the breath out of you (not so tight)? Suggestions of best garment to wear? Typically I have the need to cough and sneeze due to the fact that I am an environment allergery sufferer (anything of fragrance/dust, etc) makes me sneeze/cough, so what other options do I have to make sure I don't end up with phenomenon? My surgery is scheduled for January 5, 2017. Thanks everyone.

To see previous question, please click here. 

Compression Garment

A compression garment should fit snug but comfortable and not restrict breathing or movement. I recommend that you discuss your concerns and post op plan of care with your operating surgeon.

All the best

Tummy tuck

Compression garments are great. They need to be comfortable otherwise they wont be worn. Any snug type of garment or band will serve the purpose

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Garments

Thanks for your inquiry.  many good surgical companies make girdles and binders.  Please ask your surgeon which brand he/she uses and then do some online research and reviews about that product.  I suggest you see your primary care doctor to have your allergies addressed to the best before surgery and good luck.  

Follow up Question

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  I tend to recommend patients either wear a compression garment or abdominal binder after surgery as it will limit the amount of swelling experienced by your skin during the recovery period.  Reduction in swelling will limit your pain.  Garments should be comfortable and should not cause discomfort or pain and you can supplement the garment's support with a pillow tucked into your abdomen during sneezing and coughing attacks.  Hope this helps.

Tummy tuck

I usually have a patient get an abdominal binder. I do not want too much tension or compression because it may impact the healing of the abdominal flap.

Post-Op Compression Garments

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

If you find that you are concerned at all about the compression garments that you are wearing, when you are wearing them, or the assistance they are providing in healing then it is best ti is it your surgeon right away. They always need to be used properly to make sure that not too much compression is placed in any one area to cause excessive pressure. A follow-up appointment is a good idea to make sure that healing is moving along well and determine whether a new compression garment is needed. Good luck.

Post-op garments help

Think of them like an ACE bandage used for a twisted ankle:  they control swelling and promote healing.  Uber tight is not what you want.  That can create tissue trauma, dent the flesh, etc.  You need gentle compression.  Go to a store that specializes in fitting people for such garments prior to your procedure.  

Postop Garments

Thank you for your question.  Not all surgeons recommend postop garments.  That being said, I do typically recommend and place garments on my patients following surgery.  I try to make sure the garments are comfortably snug without being too tight creating discomfort or unnatural creases in the skin.  Speak with your surgeon or surgeon's office about specific postop instructions and recommended garments.  When it comes to coughing after a tummy tuck, for the first 4-6 weeks I would recommend tightly squeezing a pillow against your tummy when coughing to add support to the muscle repair.  Best wishes!

DrDerby

Thank you for your question. Post op garment also need to be comfortable , especially the fabric,  but it is also important that it is tight. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Compression garment - are they required?

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

Your garment should not be too tight but comfortably supportive. I generally give my patients a binder and a garment - if you tend to sneeze, you will need both because sneezing without support after a tummy tuck can be very painful. Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon so s/he knows this is a concern for you.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD