What are these fat pockets above both my eyes? (Photo)

I was TOLD that they're suspended tear glands. I have other problems with my eyes since I can remember: gritty feeling in eyelids, styes, burning, protrusion, watery, excessive discharge. Had my thyroid checked twice and it's within "range", but I don't know what else could cause the symptoms I mentioned besides a thyroid malfunction. I want surgery to remove the pockets, but I want a proper diagnosis first on the cause of ALL the symptoms I mentioned.

Herniation of lacrimal glands is an aesthetic problem.

Herniation of the lacrimal glands if it indeed exists is not a functional problem. Patients who have their upper eyelids done occasionally have these reposition. With your functional issues relative to the eyes pursuing aesthetic eyelid surgery should be done with great care. An operation could exacerbate these.

Upper eyelids - lacrimal glands

Hello, although an exam is needed, it appears that you have prolapsed lacrimal glands and likely excess fatty pockets.  Upper eyelid surgery can be done to address both.  I recommend you visit a board certified plastic or oculoplastic surgeon to discuss.  Good luck.

Dean Fardo, MD

What are these fat pockets above both my eyes?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your eye related issues.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination it appears that the fat pockets are your lacrimal glands - the tear producing glands of the eyes - that have become prominent or sagged.  I would recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon in consultation so that they can address all of your symptoms.  best wishes.