Too much fat injected - removable? (Photo)

I had fat injection under my cheek 7 years ago and left with excessive fatty fullness around my mouth. Is it too late to remove the extra fat by using micro fat liposuction from inside of my mouth? Or does it need to be cut instead like buccal fat removal? I am depressed and I so avoid mirrors as much as I avoid cameras. Please help!!!

Doctor Answers 4

Too much fat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Too many physicians over-correct with fat grafting. They may have limited experience, less than ideal instrumentation, a lack of patience, or perhaps they don't share my aesthetic sensibility. In any case, overfilled faces are a disturbing trend that can give fat grafting a bad name. This can be corrected. More photos from multiple angles and an op report would be needed before I could suggest a surgical plan. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 123 reviews

Fat Transfer Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It looks as if you are getting jowling (which occurs with aging and skin falling/laxity) and this may not be due to the fat transfer alone.  5fu/steroid injections can help the localized pockets or fine liposuction to this area or even trying kybella injections. However, I suggest trying skin tightening procedures there such as thermage/ultherapy followed by venus legacy series and then seeing if you get improvement which I think you will.  Filler around the jawline and chin will help blend this as well.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Improvement is possible

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello happy235,

Thank you for your questions and sharing your photo.  I am sorry to hear that your result has caused you so much unhappiness.  After 7 years the fat you have remaining is stable in its position on your face.  It would be reasonable to attempt careful liposuction to the area of excess fat if it is in the superfical layer of your face. I would make a consultation with your plastic surgeon, if you still  feel comfortable with him/her, or a new plastic surgeon so further examination and a definitive treatment plan can be made for you.

Best of luck!

Dr. Rednam

Rukmini V. Rednam, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Correcting overcorrection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Happy,

I am so sorry you are so distressed about your appearance. You would need to be seen in person for a more thorough and definitive exploration of your options. However, liposuction of the injected fat sounds very reasonable. I hope you get the treatment you deserve and wish you well.


Jonathan Zelken, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.