Does an extended aggressive lower blepharoplasty cause swelling on top of cheeks? (Photo)

I had a extended aggressive lower Blepharoplasty 26 days ago, PS freed up my cheek pad, creating a separate muscle suspension and skin redraping, fat grafting and injecting the local anesthetic. Many things were done! Will this subside with time or will I have to do something else's? I'm getting very concerned!

Lower Lid Malar Edema

Hi Firedude22,

Thanks for your question and photo. Based on the picture, I can appreciate significant malar edema (fluid accumulation over your cheek and midface). This is a common occurence after lower lid surgery in patient's who tend to retain fluid in their face. This can take 6-12mo to improve. However, we have recently begun using tetracycline injections into the malar region and having good results with improvement in edema. I would discuss this with your surgeon or seek a second opinion.  I hope this helps, good luck!

Festoons can resolve after few weeks, usually.

I would give some more time for the edema to resolve. It appears that you have developed festooning of the lower eyelids. the eyelids have no lymphatic vessels and usually inflammation can take a few days to resolve around the eyes. So give it another month or so.

Swelling post lower bleph

Since you are only 26 days post op with an extended lower bleph it is not uncommon to have significant swelling so heat and massage will help.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

I think you have a real problem here.

Having said that, I have seen these completely settle down over the course of several months.  I see 2-3 new consultations each week for individuals who are dissatisfied with the results of lower eyelid fat grafting.  It is reasonable to have the eyelids assessed at this point to get a second opinion.  Your surgeon is definitely in the weeds here and needs help.  Please consider posting and let us know how things are going.