How do I know if I'm experiencing capsular contracture? (photos)

I'll be 3 months post opt July 19th for my 450cc silicone breast aug under the muscle. At month 2 my breast felt soft and began to drop. However they have begun to firm up quite a bit. My Dr. noticed the change as well and put me on prednisone for 2 weeks to see if that might soften them back up. I'm only 4 days into taking the medication bit I don't think it's working. I did my breast massages as usual & I'm wondering if I can do anything else to help. I'd hate to have to get this done over.

Predinisone will not work for you.

You have a restricted submuscular space and an implant that is too large for you. You need surgery. Larger space will need to be created and the implant size will need to be adjusted accordingly. 

Capsular contracture

At this point you have to follow your surgeon's recommendations. If they were soft and now moved up and are hard then you may have a capsular contracture and probably will require further surgery if they do not settle.  Best of luck.

How do I know if I'm experiencing capsular contracture?

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  Capsular contracture first typically manifests itself with hardening of your implants and surrounding scar tissue which can then lead to an inappropriate implant position.  Early treatment involves some prescription medications such as accolate.  Talk to your surgeon about other measures that you can incorporate now to try and resolve this. 

Follow up with your surgeon

Capsular contraction after breast augmentation is a serious concern.  Medical management is the initial treatment as well as aggressive massage.  Some office will offer Aspen treatment which we have had some great success.  It is always best to treat capsular contracture early and aggressively.Best Wishes,Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS