Are my expectations for my desired Rhinoplasty results unreasonable? (photos)

I'm getting a rhinoplasty in 2 weeks and am really hoping for a specific result. I know everyone is different in terms of what's reasonable but in your opinion, is what I want do-able? I've posted photos of myself and also of what I'm hoping for...

Are my expectations for my desired Rhinoplasty results unreasonable?

Hi, from the attached before and after photos, most of what is shown in the after is achievable with Rhinoplasty but your chin is very weakl and a Chin Augmentation using a Chin Implant would be required to balance the lower face as shown in the after profile photo.  The other point that I'd like to make is the after profile shows your nassal tip over-rotated at about 120 degrees.  This will make the nose appear overly "short" with too much nostril show.  Imaging software manipulkates the photo unlike how surgery actually modifies, in this case, the nose and chin.  That's why these types of morphed images should be taken with a grain of salt.  Hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty Results and Expectations

Congratulations on your decision to have a nose job or rhinoplasty.Given your photos, you should get a very nice result.Regarding your expectations and how close you might come to the photo of the nose that you desire, an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to get very close to that shape but you will not have that same facial profile.In order to achieve the profile of the woman in the picture that you like, you would need to have a chin implant placed at the same time.Combining these two surgeries is very common as many individuals with an over projected nose like yours also have a weak or under developed chin.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

An open rhinoplasty will definitely improve the size and shape of your nose by reduction of the dorsal hump, narrowing of the bilateral nasal turbinates along with reduction and lifting of the nasal tip.  It can take a full year for all the swelling to go down after this procedure.  It is therefore my advice that you have the rhinoplasty first and then consider a chin augmentation the following year if it is your desire to achieve more facial symmetry at that time.  I am confident that you will be happy with the improvement.

While you can achieve a significant cosmetic improvement with a rhinoplasty and also a chin augmentation, you may or may not be able to achieve your desired result.

Nasal cosmetic surgery and a chin implant are frequently performed together in the appropriate patient. The ideal aesthetic result should be individualized to achieve harmony with your other facial features and improve the areas that concern you. Whether a chin implant or a more extensive jaw surgery would be optimal depends on multiple factors including your desired outcome and personal anatomy.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that your surgeonhave extensive rhinoplasty experience and be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person..

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty expectation results

Yes, that type of result is possible with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. It's also important to consider a chin implant since there is an overly projecting nose and under projecting chin present in the photographs. Rhinoplasty is one of the hardest procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so choose your surgeon wisely. Computer imaging done in the office  is also an important parameter to make sure you and your surgeon are on the same page.

Rhinoplasty question

You should be able to achieve a nice rhinoplasty result.  However, your lower face needs additional structure to be in balance.

Reduction of the dorsal hump, reducing both the nasal bones and upper lateral cartilages would be required.  The nasal tip would need refinement with reduction and narrowing of the lower lateral cartilages.  There is significant tension on the upper lip and the nasal spine would need reduction as well.

A genioplasty procedure to lengthen and project your jaw would provide the best result as opposed to a chin implant. The genioplasty procedure which moves the chin bone can increase the vertical dimension as well as add projection in the horizontal plane, while tightening the neck muscles and giving the most pleasing cervicomental angle.

For the best profile view, lip augmentation with HA fillers could provide more volume and detail.

Steven J. Smith, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Expectations

Based on the photos you shared, and without an exam, I would expect you could get your desired result.   You would also benefit from a chin implant.   Prior to surgery, discuss your concerns with your surgeon to assure you both are on the same page with your expectations.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Rhinoplasty expectations

Your question is difficult to answer without the benefit of a physical exam, as information about your skin thickness, strength of supporting nasal structures, intranasal exam, and such is invaluable.  Based on your photos, you would benefit from takedown of the nasal hump, set-back and refinement of the nasal tip, and possibly trimming of the lowest part of the septal cartilage.  Your rhinoplasty surgeon likely has a detailed prepared treatment plan to address your concerns, and bring your nose into harmony with the rest of your delicate facial features.  Discuss your concerns with him/ her and make sure you're on the same page and have all your questions answered prior to surgery.  Furthermore, trust in your surgeon to take good care of you after surgery, as post-rhinoplasty recovery is extensive; the nose--especially the tip--often takes a year to a year-and-a-half to settle down fully.  Finally, in my humble opinion, you would benefit from chin augmentation performed concurrently with your rhinoplasty.  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improvement is possible for your nose, and the posted before-and-after is a great result.

Hi,
You do appear to be an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty. As I see it, the goals would be to lower the hump, narrow the bridge and tip of the nose, raise the tip some amount, and definitely bring the entire nose back closer to the face.
Be sure you have seen many of your doctor's before and after photos, of other patients who had the same kinds of changes that you want for yourself. Yours is a difficult rhinoplasty, requiring advanced techniques, and most plastic surgeons would not be able to handle it well. Board certification diplomas tell you almost nothing about a doctor's skill in this field.
Also, I guess I have to disagree with some of the other posters about whether you need a chin implant. Your chin is very short vertically: measuring on the profile view from your lips vertically down to the bottom of the chin. That's a great, great feminine feature to have, and to my eye, it means that your chin doesn't have to project as far forward as it might on someone else. Further, just as a chin implant can make a nose look smaller, a reduction rhinoplasty can make the chin look a little bigger, and I think you'd look fine without the implant.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon