Is this drainage normal after anchor lift? 11 days post op

I had my first post op appt last Thursday. Glue was taken off early, was told i can wear underwire bra. Tried wearing a bra, felt pain & noticed a small opening in my stitches with yellow drainage. Called my surgeon, his nurse didnt seemed worried. Just want another opinion. Does this look normal or should i be worried? I put neosporin & covering with a bandaid...nurse suggested this. Its now 4 after first opening & still have a little yellow gooey drainage

Drainage after surgery

Hello, minor drainage from incisions is not uncommon after surgery but it is always best to update your surgeon about any new symptoms/findings and they can determine whether you require a sooner assessment.

Drainage 11 days after breast lift

Thank you for asking about your breast lift.

This area is the most likely to have a little difficulty healing. In the photo, it does not look serious. I suggest you make an appointment to have your surgeon check you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast reduction

You appear to have had some separation of the wound along the "T" incision. This can occur and often heals with local wound care.

Common

the "t" portion of an anchor lift commonly has this problem(why a lot of younger educated surgeons try to avoid the anchor). Listen to your surgeons recommendations in regards to how to treat this problem. It usually heals without any issues, but with implant behind there, depending on how much tissue is over them, it could become as issue, so don't take it lightly, only your surgeon or his staff truly know if it is a big problem or a small problem. 

Is this drainage normal after anchor lift?

It sounds like you have a small separation at the T-point and there is probably an absorbable suture exposed that was beneath the skin. I am not a big fan of neosporin as many patients develop an allergic reaction. I typically have my patients come in and remove the suture which allows the wound to heal a little quicker.

Healing normally

Congrats on your recent surgery. That "T junction" is the most common site of superficial skin loss. This is common and as long as your surgeon knows about it and is following you will likely heal well overtime. That drainage is typical in color and doesn't mean there is any infection necessarily. Always best to see your surgeon but looks like you appear to be healing normally! 

Regards,

Surjit S. Rai, MD 

Surjit S. Rai, MD
Dallas Physician

#ASPS #mastopexy #breastlift

Hello, russiandoll, Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your surgery.  Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Drainage after anchor lift

Hello and thank you for posting photos along with your question! Congrats on your recent surgery! What you are describing is probably one of the most common things to happen after a breast lift. This area is called the "T junction" which is the area where the vertical incision meets the horizontal incision. Right at that junction, the corners that come together on each side have the weakest blood supply because they are the areas furthest from the source. Many times, what happens is the 2 little corners break down a little bit and one will notice a little bit of yellowish or blood tinged fluid. Typically this area heals very nicely by applying and antibiotic ointment 2-3 times a day and by keeping the area nice and clean. It will take some time, but as I stated should heal nicely. Now, if you start to notice significantly increasing drainainge, foul odor, redness, warmth etc... these are signs of infection and in that case you should call your plastic surgeon and make an appointment to be seen immediately. If your plastic surgeon feels comfortable with his patients wearing a bra so soon after breast lift that's great! However, for my patients I tend to wait until about 4 weeks so that the wire is not rubbing on the incision. Hope this helps and congrats once again!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Drainage after lift

The amount and type of drainage is completely consistent with wound healing at this stage. Incisions appear intact. Relax, have your favorite beverage.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. First I do not recommend you to use strap bands on your breasts, you need to let the incision to breath properly. Besides that you should know that you're still early on healing process and it is normal to lick and bleed sometimes, get to your surgeon to check your wounds every 5 days. And put sterile gauze on them.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD