dorsal hump immediately visible after rhinoplasty-- why?!

i got a rhinoplasty done about 6 days ago to overall improve the shape of my nose/remove the large hump on my nose. i had the splint removed this morning and both my surgeon and I were shocked to see that the hump was still there! he said it was as flat as a board when he was finished, and reckoned there was just swelling, but is it really "just swelling"? am i freaking over nothing? he said to ice it, there's a bruise there & it's squishy, but I'm still nervous about it. will my nose be okay?

Dorsal hump reduction

Without seeing before photos and photos of your nose at this point, this question is impossible to answer. With that said, dorsal swelling typically occurs to varying degrees after hump reduction and some residual hump is often visible temporarily for that reason. This should go down over the next 6 weeks or so. Please adhere to your surgeon's post-OP instruction and follow up with him or her regularly. Good luck!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire. It's too early to make value judgments about your procedure.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Dorsal hump immediately visible after rhinoplasty

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. A major part of that process is waiting for swelling to resolve. In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling goes down. Over the next 6-9 months the nasal swelling will continue to trend down with intermittent swelling. The swelling will go down on one side before the other side. The tip swelling always goes away last. It's tough not to judge the outcome of your nose. Changing the nose before it's done healing may result in overcorrection. It's safest to wait. Keep your follow-up appointments with your surgeon so she/he may track your progress through the healing process. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump

When the splint comes off the dorsal hump that had been removed should not be visible. There can be some swelling but a large hump is not normal. If you push on that area and feel a thick cartilage or bone underneath then it is not swelling and will not go away. You can give it a few weeks to see if it gets better, if not then discuss it with your surgeon. RegardsDr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Hump Still Present After Rhinoplasty

I would try and relax.  Swelling of the dorsum (bridge) can occur despite everyone's best efforts. In fact, sometimes the splint is not applied perfectly and the skin gets "tented up" in the process. Give it time.  If the skin is soft and squishy you should rest assured there is considerable swelling present.  At this point in time it is best to trust your surgeon's instincts. Best wishes.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

At one week out, you are very early in the post-op course and what you see may be swelling. Best to give it time to heal and re-evaluate over time..

Hump after rhinoplasty

Best to take a breath and trust your surgeon right now. You definitely have a lot of swelling at this point and will see a lot of changes in the next 1-3 months.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon