Doctor openly admitted that he did not perform Tip Refinement for Revision Rhinoplasty! What to do??

I had a 6 - month post - op checkup. My goals going into revision were: 1). tip refinement (nose was asymmetrical, bulbous 2). nose symmetry (nose was long, droopy). Keep in mind: I re-iterated these goals from the get-go and had two family members come with me to next consultations. When I asked about progress in relation to my goals, the Dr. said that he did not refine the nose tip. In fact, it wasn't in his surgical notes and he didn't perform the surgery with this intention. What to do?

How To Ensure That Your Surgeon Does What You Want

I am very sorry to hear of your experience. It sounds like you were a very responsible patient in your preoperative planning. Did your surgeon meet with you the day of your surgery and go over everything with you one last time?  This is important because -- in my own practice -- I have noticed that on the day of surgery, patients sometimes have an additional question or request, and communication is key to ensuring a great result! I suggest you tell your surgeon that you had clearly defined what you wanted done, and see what he or she says.  

What to do? Don't give him another chance.

Communication is absolutely crucial in rhinoplasty. It's also possible that the doctor didn't correct your bulbous tip because he didn't know how -- it's a complicated change to make, a change that most plastic surgeons can't accomplish with expertise.

See my "Web reference" link, just below this post. It has a discussion on how to determine whether you should trust your primary surgeon to perform your revision. Also, it would help if we saw photos. I usually make morphs when I'm answering questions like this, but you didn't submit any photos. At the *very* bottom of the Web reference link is a link to instructions on taking photos that are most useful for online consultations.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Revision Not Done

I do a lot of revision rhinoplasties on patients who did not get a bad result but were disappointed because  expectations were not clarified pre-operatively.  I suggest you share your concerns with your surgeon and discuss your options to correct the problem.

Tip plasty

You should address the need for tip refinement as a revision procedure with you surgeon can go over all the details.  Communication is the best way to avoid a poor outcome in many cases.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon