What will need to be done to correct my nose? (photos)

I DESPISE my nose and I'm looking to have a rhinoplasty done at the beginning of next year. However, I have yet to find before pictures of patients with a nose similar to mine. Therefore making my search for a surgeon very difficult. My nostrils are EXTREMELY flared and flare even more when I smile. My nostrils are also very retracted. I hate how my nose looks from the side. What can be done to fix this horrendous nose?

Retracted nostrils

Thank you for the question.  It appears from the pictures that you have retracted ala that flare.  Depending on your height, you may also need a little tip lift (not a pig nose), but something subtle to balance the nostrils.

Cartilage grafts would work well to bring the ala down.

As far as photos go, it's rare that any 2 noses are the same so it's better to pick a surgeon that does a high volume of noses and is familiar with rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty techniques.  Also, fewer and fewer people want there face on the internet, and even though our practice has several photos online, most practices have more pictures they can show you in the office.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Every nose is different so don't focus on finding a surgeon who has operated on a nose exactly like yours. Instead, you want to find a board certified plastic surgeon whose done a lot of rhinoplasty procedures. Getting good results is going to depend on a combination of skill, expertise, and an artistic eye.  Hope this helps and good luck.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Closed Scarless Rhinoplasty only!

Hello.  Your nose is actually quite pretty (lots of great features) but small enhancements could be made to improve and refine the nose.

We would lift the tip of the nose a little bit (so not as droopy), we would prevent the tip from drooping when smiling, we would narrow the bones a little bit from the front view and shave the profile down a little bit on the side view to give a more feminine profile.

Key word for each maneuver is a LITTLE BIT. 

Small subtle moves to enhance the nose.  Even your best friend wouldn't know. 

And best part - should all be done SCARLESS (from the inside, with no external cuts or incisions on the outside).

All the best!

Deepak Raj Dugar, MD

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

A small dorsal hump can be treated, and the flare can be treated with supportive cartilage grafts. Best to be seen in person.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. From the photographs you have posted, I believe you may benefit from a hump reduction, tip rhinoplasty and an alarplasty which is a technique that is commonly used for nostril reduction. This procedure consists of making an incision on the inside or outside of the nostrils then removing a specific amount of tissue. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from alar batten grafts to help with alar retraction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate

A surgical rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump, decreasing the flare of the nose, and reducing the entire width of the nose which includes the bridge line, the mid vault, and nostrils.    For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below