CoolSculpting candidate? (Photo)

This is a follow up to my post https://www.realself.com/question/atlanta-ga-wanted-good-candidate-cryolipolisis. Just wanted to add another photo showing my "pinchable" fat on my lower belly. While I know I may be dealing with some DR from my pregnancy, I don't think this is all related to that since I've had it all my life. Just wanted to get another opinion on whether Coolsculpting would give me results or I must have tummy tuck for any significant result at all. Thanks for all your input!!

CoolSculpting Candidate

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your photo it appears that you would likely be a candidate for CoolSculpting. Each treatment typically results in reduction of 22-25% of the subcutaneous fat volume in the area treated and treatments take 35-60 minutes per area. I'd recommend evaluation by a certified CoolSculpting provider to get a hands-on assessment and to discuss treatment options.

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. In office evaluation is important to decide if you are a good candidate for this procedure.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

CoolSculpting Candidate

Yes, it does seem from your picture that you can try CoolSculpting and may see some results.  However, the tissue you are pinching may be a mixture of subcutaneous fat and loose skin.  Especially since you have gone through a pregnancy and your skin has stretched out some, you may still have this as an issue, even after the fat is removed.  It all depends on your goals and your expectations to decide which procedure would be best for you, specifically.  It would be best to do an in-person assessment with a board certified plastic surgeon and a CoolSculpting Specialist to see which procedure would be the best for you.  

Candidate?

From your picture, you may be a candidate for coolsculpting!  Coolsculpting is a great non surgical option!  You should attend a consultation with a cosmetic surgeon who is able to evaluate you and your desires to make sure that coolsculpting is the right choice for you, as there are other options!  Best of luck.

H. Christopher Coley, MD
Greensboro General Surgeon

Coolsculpting Candidate?

Looking at photos is not the optimal way to decide if Coolsculpting is the right procedure for you...however, It’s important to understand Coolsculpting is not a weight-loss alternative but rather a body contouring procedure.  This modality strictly addresses “Fat Cells”, which is not to be mistaken for excess fibrous tissue.   We all have fat cells.  Each of us unique in how much or little and in what areas of the body we carry them.     All of this is fairly predetermined by adolescence.  Coolsculpting targets subcutaneous fat which just below the skin and does NOT address visceral fat (the fat that surrounds organs).   Treating the abdomen will certainly rid (subcutaneous) fat cells but will NOT alter excess mass or weight.    If there’s been great weight fluctuation skin elasticity loss can become an issue.  While Coolsculpting will treat any subcutaneous fat cells remaining, it will not necessarily address elasticity loss.  A consult with a Coolsculpting specialist would be the way to start.

Steven H. Dayan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Targeting fat and laxity.

Evaluation of an abdomen always includes skin laxity , degree of fat involved , and the condition of the rectus abdominus muscle. Furthermore , your expectations also need to be considered. If you have had a baby , there is extra skin laxity and perhaps muscle diastasis that contribute to the problem. 

Looking at your picture , which is not as good as a physical exam, you have laxity and fat issues. If your desire is a totally flat tummy, then your answer is an abdominoplasty. If you cannot do that, then you need Nominvasive tightening in addition to your CoolSculpt. I would suggest either a tripollar / CoolSculpt protocol or a Thermage / CoolSculpt protocol. These would provide a large area of radio frequency tightening in addition to localized fat busting. Which protocol would depend upon your physical exam and your expectations.

Candidate for Cool Sculpting?

From your photos it is hard to tell but if you go to a reputable Plastic Surgeon's office they should give you the best in person consultation. Cool Sculpting can reduce the fat and decrease bulges but I can't tell from your photo if you have any stretch marks or loose skin which cool sculpting does not tighten. IF your goals are for a flat stomach and no excess skin then abdominoplasty would be most likely a worthwhile opinion. If you don't want surgery or have time for recovery then Cool Sculpting in a nice option in some cases. Hope that helps. Best of Luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting candidate

Thank you for your question. It is hard to tell from your photo alone whether coolsculpting would be the best treatment for your goals. Coolsculpting does address pinchable fat and is a very effective treatment modality. If you do have a diastasis rectus then a tummy tuck would be more effective at addressing that. I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that has coolsculpting and they can discuss with you which treatment is best for you.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Candidate?

You are excellent candidate for CoolSculpting.  Your picture demonstrates the classic "pinchable" fat that responds well. The good news is you have choices. Tummy tuck, liposuction and SculpSure will also get nice results. Each option has pros and cons.  So depending on your goals, risk tolerance, and schedule, one maybe a better option for you.  Discussion with your provider will help you make that decision. Good luck!

CANDIDATE

Thank you for your question, the ideal candidate for CoolSculpting, is someone who has a BMI of around 30. The Fat that CoolSculpting can eliminate is called "Subcutaneous Fat" aka the "pinchable fat", that is resistant to dieting, and exercise.  It is important to meet and consult with a CoolSculpting trained Physician to determine weather you are a candidate.