Will more compression and massaging help with my asymmetry? The right side is more swollen and not as soft as the left. (photo)

I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op tt with lipo to my flanks and back with a mastopexy. My right side doesn't look as good as my left side. It's making incision look higher on one side than the other. Someone advised me to get a hand held massager and add another lipo foam pad to the right side for extra compression. Will this help or does this all have to do with time?

Mild Asymmetry

Thank you for your picture.  I can see your asymmetry.  I would advise you to continue the use of your compression garment.  Allow at a minimum of 3 months worth of healing and then re-evaluate this area.  In the meanwhile seek recommendations from your operating surgeon as to addition treatments if necessary.  Best Wishes.

Breast Asymmetry Post Mommy Makeover

#Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation or #AugmentationMastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing.

But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.  The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

Ask your surgeon

Please check with your surgeon as your surgeon is the best person to answer that question. Without knowing your medical history it is difficult to help you.

Good luck!

Will more compression and massaging help with my asymmetry? The right side is more swollen and not as soft as the left.

Without pre-op photos- it's difficult to give you an accurate response. Pre-op photos are helpful to assess any early post-op asymmetry. You could have a small accumulation of fluid at that location which will most likely resolve in time and with massage. Best to follow up with you doctor- he will know best.

Tummy tuck, liposuction and mastopexy - ismassage ok?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over recovery.

• Massage seems to help some people -
  • But please get your surgeon's approval first -
  • It can be irritating to new incisions, you don't want to start an infection.
  • Some patients feel certain that the cheap massagers you get on-line are highly effective - others think massage doesn't work.
  • And yes, to a great extent it is a matter of time but no harm in giving massage a try.
  • Remember - we are not symmetric. There is always one side that heals faster.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Worth the continued try, but if after 3 months than yu may need revision lipo? Best to seek in person paid second opinions.

It's too soon to assess your MM results

3.5 weeks post-op is too soon for your final results from flank lipo, TT & mastopexy.  Usually advise patients that #Mommy Makeover results develop on average, 6-9 months postop.   In order to set expectations appropriately, it's important to accept that in addition to physical symptoms, emotional fluctuations are the norm rather than the exception.  When none of the "complications" occur, a cosmetic surgery patient still has to "hurry up and wait" until the new "normal" and hopefully improved version occurs.  So it's not surprising when patients get anxious, impatient and start to "second guess" their course.  Discuss your concerns with your PS.  Your early results appear very promising.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Will more compression help with my asymmetry?

While it might help to add more compression, you really should check with your surgeon before altering your postoperative care/instructions.  Advice like this really needs to come from your surgeon, not the online community so that your surgeon knows what kind of problems you are having and gives you the appropriate advice.  Really, time is likely your best option on this and being patient while the swelling resolves.  Best of luck with your continued recovery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photograph.  It is common with any surgery to have asymmetrical swelling take place in the early post operative period and at 3.5 weeks this is likely what you are experiencing.  Your surgeon can provide you with further reassurance and it would be best to clear any changes to your recovery with them first as they know the full details of your procedure.  When a tummy tuck and liposuction are combined it may take up to 6-12 months to reach your long-term results.  Hope this helps