How can I be certain I am choosing the most qualified doctor for a rhinoplasty?

Ive wanted a rhinoplasty for years & am still searching in the areas surrounding me for a doctor I trust. I want to chose a doctor that is both specialized in rhinoplasty & plastic surgery of the face. But when searching for doctors, none give me this specific information if they specialize in facial AND nose plastic surgery. How can I be certain I am choosing a doctor that specializes in these requirements if they dont tell me specifically or how can I be certain they're telling the truth.

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Choosing the best surgeon for rhinoplasty.

There is no recipe to come up with the best surgeon. I would suggest you interview several making certain that the specific changes in your nose brought about by rhinoplasty can be explained technically to you. Video imaging is a common component of this consultation. Be certain to see numerous pre-and postoperative photographs of patients the surgeon is operated upon.

Selecting a Rhinoplasty Surgeon

Most rhinoplasty surgeons will have multiple before and after photos, perform computer imaging, and be able to answer your questions regarding the procedure. Many of the rhinoplasty surgeons will have completed a fellowship- advanced training.

Even in the most experienced hands-nothing is guaranteed. Once the last suture is placed, the ball is in the patient's court. Depending on how their body heals, the outcome may be less than desired.If you are focused on perfection- do not have any surgery. If you are happy with improvement you may be a candidate.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

The chosen one, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
I usually tell my patients that the first step for a safe plastic surgery is to choose a board certified aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgeon.

This should have a personal website containing details of his professional biography and some photos of the procedures performed.

Your plastic surgeon should be  transparent and a honest person with you, with ethical and human values, and especially with good reputation and history. Also, it's much better if this doctor have special training and experience in procedures like the one you're interested.

Finally, i invite you to send your photos to give you more information of interest for you.

Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-      

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty surgeon.

When looking for a rhinoplasty surgeon look for a surgeon who has dedicated a significant component of their practice to the discipline of rhinoplasty. That means they should have an extremely large portfolio of before and after photographs on their website of rhinoplasty. In addition, look at their credentials such as Board Certified in facial plastic surgery. In addition, testimonials, reviews, and ratings are all important.  For more information about rhinoplasty and many before-and-after results, please see the link and the video below

How To Find The Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon

The reason you are having difficulty is because rhinoplasty surgery is exceptionally difficult. It takes years to be trained (and comfortable) performing surgery on the body, and more time to be comfortable performing surgery on the face, and even longer to be comfortable performing surgery on the nose. Think about it:  several millimeters don't show on the body, but they do on the face, and they are extremely noticeable on the nose. Experience is key, so please look for someone who has had decades of experience. Read his or her reviews, look at his or her educational background, before and after pictures. Make sure he or she is board certified and has privileges at reputable hospitals. Some of us will conduct phone or Facetime consultations before meeting you in person. Be diligent, because this decision will influence the way you look for the rest of your life.

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD