Is it possible to make cheekbones more even with botox or filler? (photos)

I am an 18-year-old girl. When I was 12, I had a tubing accident and smashed my face into my sister's head. I broke my nose, and I also unknowingly fractured the growth plate in my jaw. At age 15, I had my wisdom teeth removed, and during removal my jaw became fully dislocated. I have a diagnosed TMJ, and I have a splint to stabilize my symptoms; however, my face is noticeably uneven. I have a cheekbone on my right side (the side that was not fractured), but I don't on the other.

Is it possible to make cheekbones more even with botox or filler?

Dear madzj,

Thank you for your question and photos. Filler is, in fact, a great answer to your asymmetry issues. Please seek the advice of and experienced board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon to learn about all of your options.
Using some of the newer "thicker" fillers such as Voluma, injection at the level of your cheekbone can provide significant lift and sculpting to create more symmetry. Furthermore, since Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler, the product can be "erased" if you didn't like the effect making it a very safe. Also, with Voluma you can expect almost 70% of the correction to last 18 months or so.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Voluma can make an improvement

Thank you for your inquiry and the photos.  Voluma is a simple procedure to have done to try to make the cheeks look more symmetrical.  See a Board Certified Dermatologist who has great expertise in facial fillers for a consultation.  Also compare to what your surgical options may be with a Plastic Surgeon.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Fillers.
A HA base filler such as Voluma is a great option for more of a cheekbone appearance. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Asymmetry of cheekc can be corrected with fillers

You should consider filler before you get something permanent like an implant to see if you like your new look.

Best

Dr Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Cheek Augmentation With Fillers, Fat, Sculptra, Implants

Cheeks can be improved with fillers, fat, sculptra or implants. I suggest you see an expert for treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Asymmetric cheeks due to early trauma

I think you'd be an excellent candidate for cheek augmentation with fillers. Which type depends on you. Because you are very young, a long lasting filler such as Bellafill might be attractive because you wouldn't need to get repeated injections as much. Another alternative is a cheek implant. Botox has no role.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Hi, I have performed mnay facial shaping procedures, over the past 30 years, using dermal fillers and facial implants (cheek, chin).  From the photos: your nose has a partially collapsed nasal bridge and wide tip from the previous facial trauma, the cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front) and there is some excess fat in front of the cheeks.  These combine to create an elongated oval shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.

You certaily could try a dermal filler to shape and refine the cheeks, moving on to cheek implants for a permanent enhancement should that at some future date be desired.  Botox relaxes muscles to soften unwanted lines and wrinkles so this would not help you achieve more aesthetically shaped cheeks.

Hope this helps.

Skillfully place fillers or implants should be helpful for your atrophic cheek.

You should seek consultation with a respected and experienced dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon to assess your cheek contours and discuss with you the risks and benefits of treatment options.  I am sure you can get some good improvement for your cheek contours. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for Facial Asymmetry

Fillers, such as Juvederm or Sculptra, are a wonderful treatment option for your cosmetic complaint.  There are pros and cons to each of the filler options, so you'll have to discuss them with your cosmetic surgeon.  
Botox will not treat a deficient cheek bone.
A cheek implant is also a good treatment option.  The main benefit is that its one surgery and your done.  Contrast this to fillers, which require reinjection every 6-12 months. However, surgery has its own risks and additional costs that should factor into your decision.  

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Help for bone loss

Great question! You would benefit with a fuller such as sculptra, which is long lasting. Find a board certified dermatologist in your area who is experienced using this product.
I hope this helps you.
Dr Beverly Johnson

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon