I have a lot of fat on my inner, outer, and back calves. Will Calf/Ankle Liposuction give me significant results? (photo)

I have been wanting calf liposuction for years though finding a doctor who is specialized in that area isn't easy. M body is fairly slim with the exception of my thighs but my thighs are nothing compared to my calves. I have a lot of fat on my inner, outer, and back calves. They protrude from the knee while most peoples taper inward. When i got down to 115 pounds my thighs were very slim but nothing happened to my calves.

Calf sculpting

Thank you for your question and your photos.  It appears that you are a potentially reasonable candidate for liposuction to taper the calves and ankles.  Keep in mind, however, that the recovery from this procedure is not insignificant - there is often significant post-op swelling, and compression garments must be worn for several weeks after surgery.  Additionally, exercise is generally prohibited for at least 3-4 weeks, and the legs must be kept elevated as much as possible during this time.  Good luck to you.

Lower leg liposuction

Thank you for your pictures. Liposuction of lower legs is treacherous. From your pictures it looks like that your body proportions and your legs are appropriate. I would not recommend this procedure.

Calf Liposuction

It does appear from your pictures that you would benefit from liposuction of your lower legs.  Liposuction of the calves and ankles is a bit trickier than other areas of the body so it important to go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  That being said, most patients are extremely happy with the improved shape and contour of their legs. It is important to realize, however, that you cannot significantly alter your genetic shape, but an improvement in contour is definitely attainable. Good Luck!

Calf Reduction

Stubborn fat in the calves and ankles or “cankles” can be difficult to improve with just diet and exercise and patients who experience this can benefit from liposuction. Calf and ankle liposuction can be performed as an outpatient procedure in a fully accredited ambulatory surgery facility with "twilight" anesthesia administered by a board certified anesthesiologist. I use several innovative forms of liposuction, including SmartLipo, in order to contour and resculpture the calves and ankles while providing the most beautiful results with minimal scarring. SmartLipo, used in combination with other forms of liposuction or alone, is a procedure that uses laser light to liquefy fat and tighten the surrounding skin. It involves less downtime and side-effects than traditional liposuction and is particularly good for small areas of fat deposits like the ankles.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

“Cankle” liposuction can deliver great results in the hands of the right surgeon.

As you mentioned yourself, finding a surgeon who specializes in “cankle” liposuction (or at the very least, who regularly performs liposuction through the calves, knees and ankles) is absolutely essential for seeing positive results. I do think that calf and ankle liposuction can make a big difference, although of course it would take a physical exam for me to say definitively whether you’re an ideal candidate. I suggest looking for a board certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of expertise in performing liposuction specifically through the lower legs. From there, you’ll have a better idea about what kinds of results you can expect to see.

Calf liposuction

Calf liposuction can be safely and successfully performed.  It is critical that a thorough assessment be performed to understand which volume in your calves is from muscle and which is from fat.  I think in many cases the improvement is modest in this region because fat is only one component of thicker calves or "cankles", but nonetheless, it can be improved.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

I have a lot of fat on my inner, outer, and back calves. Will Calf/Ankle Liposuction give me significant results?

It may be reasonable, but an exam is always necessary to determine if there is enough fat to make the procedure worthwhile.

Calf liposuction

Thank you for your calf liposuction question.

• Your photos show excess fat in your calves which can be removed with liposuction.
  • It is important to not over-reduce the calf but to sculpt it based on careful pre-operative planning.
  • I do a good deal of calf liposuction and to date, patients are happy.
  • The recovery is longer than for other liposuctions, because walking will hurt at first.
  • Your problem is not one seen in ballerinas - I speak as a dancer. Ballet's focus is extension. It thins the calves and ankles.
  • Your problem is more common in women doing high impact sports such as marathon running. 
  • We would be happy to see you in consultation to give you more specific advice. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Hi. You could benefit fro lipo of your calves. However, its a very trick area and you should do extensive research. You are svelte and the prominence of your calves is also due to significant calf muscles. You m have been an athlete or ballerina in years past. Although lipo of your calves would help, they will always be prominent. Good luck.

Calf and ankle liposuction

Calf and ankle liposuction works well for the right person.  It appears you are a good candidate.  You should seek 3 opinions from ABPS-FACS surgeons.  My Best,  Dr C