Is this bumpy skin around my vaginal opening normal? (Photos)

I've had this weird skin around the opening of my vagina for over a year now. Everything about my vagina is normal other than the skin itself seeming unsmooth. It's unattractive and if it is normal, is there anything I can do to make it appear more smooth?

Is the bumpy skin around my vagina normal?

From your photos I can see what you are talking about but I can't tell if it is a normal or not.  You will need an examination.  Infection or trauma or abnormal tissue growth from a disease process are possibilities.  Assuming that everything is healthy, that area of skin can be removed and "beautified" with a minor procedure.  

Normal skin?

Yes, I agree. Consult w/ your gynecologist for an exam to evaluate the area. It may just be normal skin, however conditions do exist that can cause changes in the skin and in some instances need biopsied prior to treatment. Your gynecologist can guide you with this.

Dr Robert Moore

Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon

Atlanta - Beverly Hills - Dubai

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Is the bumpy skin normal?

Great question for your gynecologist. You should be seen and examined to rule out a problem before seeking treatment. I can't provide a more specific answer without an exam.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Skin around vagina

Many different diseases can cause changes in skin appearance in vulvo-vaginal area. Lichen sclerosis and vulvar dysplasia being very common. I would suggest you see a GYN for examination. I personnaly have very low threshold for skin biopsy to delineate the problem.

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

Is my outer vagina normal?

Hello Goosewtf123,

Thank you for your question and providing photos as well. Contrary to popular belief there is a wide range of "normal" when it comes to the anatomy of the vagina especially the outside structures. In your case it appears to be a normal variation especially for a woman who has had vaginal deliveries. If you are considering pregnancy in the future I would not do anything until you are through with childbearing. Should this become a significant bother to you an in person consultation with a cosmetic gynecologist/urogynecologist or plastic surgeon would give you solid information as to normality and your options to "fix". Be well. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Your perineum is misbehaving

There are many reasons why the skin at the vaginal introitus may change it's appearance. Some of these are diseases. Go see your gynecologist.

Is this bumpy skin around my vaginal opening normal?

Thank you for your question and photographs. There is a wide variation in the size and appearance of a women's anatomy, and your vagina falls well within normal. Though nothing replaces an in-person examination it appears that you have a small amount of skin redundancy along your labia minora and posterior commissure of your labia majora. This can be improved upon with a small surgical procedure. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, who could perform a physical exam, would be able to give you a more definitive opinion.