Bump on nose after rhinoplasty-- is it swelling?

I had a rhinoplasty done to change the overall shape of my nose just last week. I had a bump on the upper bridge of my nose, & my surgeon assured me he'd "break my nose" to get rid of it. When I got my splint removed, there was swelling (normal), but there was also a hump on the bridge of my nose. He said it was straight before he patched me up. Is it just swelling? Will it go down? He told me to ice it, & that it's probably just soft tissue but I'm still incredibly insecure & anxious over it.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

At this time it is too early to tell, but it is most likely related to swelling. I often have my patients firmly tape that area to minimize swelling and help prevent a recurrent hump but you need to ask your rhinoplasty surgeon about their choice in the matter.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire. It's too early to make value judgments.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

At one week out, you are very early in the post-op course and what you see may be swelling. Best to give it time to heal and re-evaluate over time..

Bump on nose after surgery

Thank you for your question.  1 week is very early in the recovery stages of rhinoplasty.  It is not uncommon to have swelling and possibly some asymmetries early in the post-rhinoplasty recovery phase.  It is usually six months before you will see the end results.  At that time, any concerns should be evaluated with your Facial Plastic Surgeon. Best of luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

1 week out from rhinoplasty

If you are one week out from rhinoplasty, you are undoubtedly swollen and should resist critically judging your result. It is not fair to yourself as your nose will change as the swelling leaves and skin/soft tissue contracts. Continue to see your surgeon for follow up so you have guidance in your recovery. Occasionally, a steroid injection can locally reduce swelling and occasionally, post-rhinoplasty taping can help reduce swelling. This should be dictated by your surgeon.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

Bump on nose after surgery

Having a bump on your nose one week after nasal surgery can be a common finding. I highly recommend that you follow your doctor's instructions and using ice to lower the swelling of the bridge of the nose. More than likely this will resolve itself. I hope this helps.

Roberto E. Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be patient

I totally sympathize with your anxiety and concern.  As much as you want to know the exact reason for this bump, it is too early in your healing process to make a definitive determination.  I recommend following all post-operative instructions and maintaining close follow-up with your surgeon.

Wish you the best!

Babar Sultan, MD
Towson Facial Plastic Surgeon