How do I go about getting a breast reduction surgery on Medicaid?

Doctor Answers 2

G cup on Medicaid

It can be difficult to find a surgeon who accepts Medicaid because in some states the payment is so low that it actually costs the surgeon to provide the service.  In some states Medicaid makes the approval process so difficult that surgeons have given up trying to help patients achieve this goal.

I'm sorry to make this sound so negative but that is the reality.

If you have a primary physician of OB doctor, you may want to start there and ask for a referral to a plastic surgeon.  The surgeon may be more likely to agree to see you if they are receiving the referral from a physician they know.

Good luck.  A G cup sound painful. 

Pensacola Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Breast reduction on Medicaid

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

You will need to contact Medicaid to learn the criteria for having the surgery and to find out which surgeons in your area accept Medicaid. If you meet the required criteria, then contact the surgeon and schedule an appointment.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.