Are my breasts going to get bigger? (photos)

A week ago I received 650cc UHP silicone breast implant. Prior to that, I was a 34A (maybe a small B) I feel like my implants are not as big as I thought they would be. I know they still have to "drop and fluff".

Are my breasts going to get bigger?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

Online consultants will not be able to predict, with any reliability/accuracy, what cup size you will end up wearing. You will need to go bra shopping/fitting; in my practice, I ask patients to wait 3 to 6 months before doing so. Don't be surprised, at that time, if you end up different wearing different bra cup sizes, depending on who makes the bra. Generally speaking, I ask my patients not to communicate their goals and/or evaluate the outcome of breast surgery in terms of achieving a specific cup size ( given the variability in the measurement of cup sizes…). 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with, regardless of the specific cup size achieved.

A 650cc implant is very large for someone as thin, and I would assume, with as small of breasts as you had preoperatively. This large and heavy implant will produce tension on your skin, which from your photographs, seems to be already happening. Tension, when placed on living tissue, will cause it to elongate and grow. Hence, the tension from these large implants, placed on the skin envelopes in your breasts, will cause them to expand. This will eventually result in your breasts appearing larger, as the implants are no longer held tightly against your chest. Be patient; this process will take from three to six months to complete. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Will my breasts get bigger?

It is hard to tell from your pictures, how big things are, but it is unlikely that you will become any larger in the future then you are presently. The way things look and feel may change over the next couple of months, so do not evaluate the results at this time. Your situation is the reason why I recommend that patients bring in a picture of what they would like their final results to look like, in order to help me decide which implant would be most appropriate to give them their desired results.

Brent Birely, MD

Are my breasts going to get bigger?

No they should not get bigger. After surgery there is swelling in the breast and commonly the breasts will get smaller after surgery. The implant also settles over the first several months. It's too early to tell what your final size and shape will be.

Will breasts get bigger?

No.  Your breasts will not get bigger from this point on.  If anything, they will get smaller.  If you don't think they are large enough now then you probably won't be any happier two or three months from now when they have settled and the swelling has subsided.  Still, 650 is a very large implant for your frame (based on your pictures).  The largest available implant made by reputable, FDA-approved manufacturers in this country would be 800 cc's.  I doubt that the addition of another 150 cc's would make a significant difference.  I wouldn't make any final judgement concerning your result for a minimum of three months,

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Need more time before you judge the final result of a breast augmentation

A 650 cc UHP implant is quite large.  You are still early in the post operative period, you just need to give it more time. 

Are my breasts going to get bigger?

It is too early to judge your result of your breast augmentation. 650 cc is a very generous implant and it takes time for the implant to settle into the pocket and for the swelling to go down.

Christopher Kelly, MD
Aventura Plastic Surgeon

Large volume primary augmentation takes a while to settle in and develop proper shape and proportion

Unless you have a large frame and broad breast bases, 650 cc is quite large for a primary augmentation, especially coming from an A-cup.  Early after a volume jump that large you can expect some distortion and general flattening of the implants by the overlying soft tissues until they gradually stretch to accommodate the added volume. At that point the outcome should look quite large.  I hope that this helps.

Thomas M. DeWire Sr., MD (retired)
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Are my breasts going to get bigger?

You have to give it time to heal. You need to wait until your implants settle- it takes several months. Follow your surgeon's post-op instructions.

One week

The breasts are not going to get bigger, but the implant volume will be distributed differently as the pectoralis muscles relax to accommodate the implants. There will be less fill in the upper pole, more in the lower pole.  It is quite subjective as to whether they may look  larger or smaller by that time. 

Patience, follow with your surgeon.  All the best.