Is my breast lift a little saggy? Can the aereolas be made smaller? (photos)

I got a lollipop lift with 250cc saline implants in September 2015. It's been about 4 months. I have mixed feelings about them. They definitely look much better but I feel they look different sizes and shapes. They look a bit cone shaped from the side as well. I also feel they could be slightly fuller on top. Ive always had larger aereolas but now with them lifted the larger aereolas look way too big in comparison to breast size. Is there hope that all of these concerns can be corrected?

Breast Lift Results in Melbourne, Florida

When evaluating postop results, I always encourage everyone to remember that it takes time for everything to settle and look and feel more natural and to see the final results. In addition, always remember, “Breasts are sisters, not twins.” This means that they are not exactly the same before surgery or after surgery, although they tend to look similar. I would expect your implants to settle with time and therefore, not be nearly as full as time passes as they were the day after your surgery. Also, all skin tends to relax with time and therefore, your natural breast tissue will settle, the implants will tend to settle, and the areola will also tend to slightly enlarge with time. Hopefully this is helpful to you. Best of luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift sagging a few months later?

Thank you for your question and for the helpful photos.  In most cases, a lift done using just a doughnut scar does not last as long, nor lift as much, as a lift done using a lollipop scar.  Your breasts appear a little lower than I would expect after a lift.  Also, the areola diameter usually widens more after a doughnut lift--that's because all the tension of the closure is around the areola.  A lollipop lift help both issues: the "sagging" and the widened areolar diameter.  Talk to your surgeon about a revision that involves a lollipop scar.

Dr. K

Carmen Kavali, MD

Is my breast lift a little saggy? Can the aereolas be made smaller?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... I have to say that your results are beautiful, you look amazing, but I also understand what you're explaining of your breasts, the areola can get smaller of course, also another lift will project them even more, but you look stunning, natural results, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast lift revision

You overall have a reasonable result, but it could be improved especially reducing the size of your areola with a simple lift revision. I would recommend either the revision alone, or add a slightly larger implant or some fat grafting to the upper pole if you would like a little liposuction anyway, Good luck.

Full lift and fat grafting

The size of areola indicates too much tension. i would suggest full lift with fat grafting over the upper pole.  

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

You have a very nice result. you should see your surgeon and discuss making the areola smaller. the shape looks nice but for more upper pole fullness you can discuss either fat grafting or changing to either a larger implant or a different shape/profile.

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

Post lift

I think you look good.choices include making the areola smaller or a bigger implant or you copuld also do some fat grafting across the top or your breasts to make them fuller as well.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Based upon the excellent series of posted photos the answer is YES & YES to both issues. In my over the internet opinion you need a full lift vs L-shaped lift (lollipop). Areolae size is a personal decision, if you desire smaller circumferences than that is possible. But both need revision surgery...

Thanks for your question. One maxim of breast surgery is that breasts are sisters, not twins.  I have yet to see a pair of identically matched breasts, and hopefully your plastic surgeon pointed out the existent asymmetries in your breasts preoperatively.  Just looking at your photo, your right breast appears to hang a little lower, the areola is more dilated, and the volume could be different.  All these anatomic differences are still present and sometimes magnified with an implant.

I would say overall, the frontal view shows a nice contour in the result.  The areolae dilation is the result of increased pressure behind the tissue.  Sometimes this tissue shrinks back as the rest of the breast skin accommodates the implant, sometimes it doesn't.  In the case that it doesn't, the issue can intrinsic hyperelasticity of your skin and may require other materials to help support the areolae if you want the dilation corrected. Generally, it's best to wait up to a year for the finally tissue result.

Hopefully you had a thorough discussion with a board certified plastic surgeon regarding your goals with this surgery, and hopefully he or she was explicit about the possible complications as well as what to expect in terms of your final look. Four months is still pretty early, but it's doubtful you will get *more* superior pole fullness going forward.  Keep in contact with your surgeon, express your concerns, find out his or her revision policy and time line if you are not happy. Also, assuming you chose him or her carefully and trust them, you should trust their judgment now as to the best course.  He or she should have listened carefully during your consultation and devised a plan to accommodate as many of your desires as possible. Sometimes patients don't realize what is and is not possible, or that some of their desires contradict each other.  Bottom line - talk to your surgeon.  All the best to you!

Whitney A. Burrell, MD