Have a breast lift or reduction. I am not sure which one, I love my 38DDD breast but sometimes they give me back pain. (photos)

If I were able to get a breast lift would that result in having a perky breast and look full and can that relieve some pain. Every now and then I have back pains. Would it be possible to achieve a size DD if I had a breast reduction? How much would be taken out in order to still be full and perky? Are my breast too saggy? I am 5'2 and weigh 156 pounds.

Have a breast lift or reduction. I am not sure which one, I love my 38DDD breast but sometimes they give me back pain.

A breast reduction will help to relieve your symptoms and move the tissue into a more pleasing position and shape and likely still be able to keep your DD goals. Find a plastic surgeon who has expertise in this surgery and with whom you feel comfortable.

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction or lift

I would recommend a breast reduction.  Making your breasts smaller will give your surgeon more flexibility in shaping your breasts and may also improve the longevity of your result (larger breasts may sag more than smaller breasts).  Be sure to make it clear to your surgeon that your goal is to remain somewhat large and your primary interest is being lifted.  A lift alone is unlikely to make an improvement in your back pain.

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  A breast reduction would reduce the size of your breasts, relieving the stress on your back.  It would also raise your breasts and nipple position, make your breasts round and perky, reduce the areola size and improve symmetry.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction or Lift?

#Breast reduction can accomplish several things in one procedure. The surgeon can reduce the size of the breasts, make them symmetrical (same size and shape) and complete a lift. By including a #lift with the procedure, your surgeon can also assure correct nipple placement and appropriate areolar size. When you reduce the size of the breast tissue, you can eliminate some of the medical complications frequently experienced by women with #large breasts, reduce sleeping difficulties, increase your likelihood of finding clothing that fits and improve self image. Ultimately the size you choose to reduce your breast to, is up to you and your surgeon. However, if you are removing enough breast tissue to decrease your cup size several sizes, you should notice a significant difference. Thanks for the question and good luck!

Have a breast lift or reduction. I am not sure which one.

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
Based on your photographs and description go goals, the operation performed will likely be breast lifting and a relatively small breast reduction procedure. If I were seeing you in consultation, I would ask to look at your goal photographs; after doing so, I would be able to help you with a prediction of how much tissue would need to the removed.  Keep in mind however that there is no specific/reliable correlation between the amount of tissue removed and cup sizes achieved.

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “D or DD cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make. To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.  I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast lift with reduction?

Hello, thank you for your photos and inquiry. As per the photos you are candidate for a reduction with a lift. The reduction will help your back problems you have, I suggest seeking a board certified plastic surgeon so you can discuss also how much reduction can be preformed. The lift will make your breasts perky as well. Best of luck! 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and reduction

It looks like you could benefit from a reduction and a lift. How much reduction is desired is part of the consultation.

Breast reduction

hello and thank you for your question and  the photos. Based upon your desired size and shape limited breast reduction would be an excellent option for you.  This will allow you to have a perky youthful contouring and shaping of the breast with a modest reduction in the size. It is not true that every breast reduction leaves patients with very small breasts it seems that that is a concern of yours
The goal size for the final result it is a decision that you must jointly make with your surgeon. Sometimes breast reductions are covered by Insurance. When that happens the insurance company gets to dictate what size breast you will have at the end and often times that size tends to be a very small a OR b cup
You should seek several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons in your area before making a final decision.
As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health care concerns you have are managed by your primary care doctor.
Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Consider a small reduction

There are 2 reasons I would recommend reducing your breast size at the time of your lift:1. If you step it down to a D or DD your surgeon will have more ability to contour, shape and lift your breast to get an excellent aesthetic for you.  2. Reducing your breast a bit will give you a much more sustainable result.  Gravity works more effectively on heavy breasts so lightening up will benefit you from the stand point of longevity of results.Good news is that even with a small amount of reduction combined with your lift - your neck and shoulder will thank you!