Breast Augmentation...to lift or not to lift? (Photo)

47 years old. 1 Doctor says I need a lift and another says I don't. Currently a a/b cup. Would like to become a d. Thoughts?

Breast Lift with Implants

Hello and thank you for submitting your question. The answer ultimately depends on one’s individual needs and goals; but, in general, the answer might be a combination of both procedures. The breast lift surgery and breast augmentation procedure are two completely different procedures and, while the combination of the two treatments may be necessary to meet one person’s goals, a breast lift alone may be enough to yield satisfactory results in others. However, it is best to go in for an in-person evaluation and be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast lift procedures. Best of luck to you!

Maitland Plastic Surgeon

You may be a good candidate for a combination breast lift and augmentation.

As others have already noted, it can be difficult to provide a definitive answer judging by your photos alone. You do appear to have a degree of ptosis, or sagging, which would not be addressed solely through implants. It’s likely you could benefit from a breast lift with your breast augmentation. This is a very common combination procedure, and many women find that the added lift can offera more rejuvenatedoutcome. Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to address your goals and desired results.

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

To lift or not to lift?

When the solution to a problem is easy, you will get the same solution from everyone that you ask. When the problem is difficult to solve, you will get differing opinions as to the best solution.
In plastic surgery language, your wide muscular chest and small firm breasts with a short lower pole and tight infra mammary folds cause a lot of problems for us. You are at risk for double bubble deformity, implant malposition, and excessive scarring.
In my opinion, because your nipples are higher than the lower fold of the breast, a donut mastopexy is the only mastopexy that is appropriate. A form stable implant with more width than height suits the dimensions of your breasts best.

Let us know if this is helpful.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Modest ptosis of the breast can be camouflaged with a breast augmentation.

From the photograph it looks as though you may be a candidate for a good result with breast augmentation alone. This will depend upon some measurements the plastic surgeon will take as well as the size implant you choose and the final expectations of the operation.

Hello! Thank you for your question and photos. It appears in the photos that you may benefit from a #breast #lift and #breast #augmentation, yet I cannot be sure without an in-person #examination. I suggest that you seek out two or three more evaluations from #Board #certified #plastic #surgeons who specialize in #breastaugmentations. Explain and show pictures reflecting your desired size and shape. Carefully choose your  #BCPS, ask for testimonies, before and after pictures and ask others who they would recommend if they have previous experience with breast augmentations. Best wishes!

Lift or no lift

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants:

Breast lift or implants (or both)?

It is hard to tell from your photos, however, without an examination in person, I would lean towards recommending a breast lift.  Implants could be added if you want more volume (and it sounds like you do).  I think a periareolar (aka, donut) or short-scar (aka, lollipop) lift would be enough for you.  I suggest that you visit a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you in person and review your options with you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breast lift

To achieve your goals it appears from your photos that you would need a breast lift with you're augmentation. The procedure may be done in a single stage or separated a few months apart.

DrBurnett#realself100

Breast augmentation and lift candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants) and projection (the lift): Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift.
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and 400-450ml will be excelent on you, to fill the breasts properly.
Finally, to perform the breast lift I recommend a Periareolar Round Block Breast Lift ("Benelli mastopexy"), which has an unnoticed scar around the areola, and if we see (in the surgery) that we can't obtain adecuate projection just with the Benelli Lift, we have to perform a "Lollipop breast lift".
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Augmentation...to lift or not to lift?

You most certainly need a breast lift with an implant. A breast augmentation alone will not give you the results you are likely hoping to achieve. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD